Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
vicrider

Pictures of tiny flies Monthly Swap

First of all, like usual, I make note that I do not have the equipment to do good fly pics. Also, on these small flies they drove me nuts because my macro setting kept trying to focus on something else. I went back three times to get better shots after I looked at a couple of them blown up. Cracklebacks 32 was impossible to macro on the stalk so I did it on paper and it worked, sort of. Worst thing was after I got them all shot and was going to put the labels back on them so I was sure whose pics I had I started sneezing and who knows where those flies are now. Just blended into the dust I guess. (just kiddin') We are a couple short and hopefully they'll be caught up soon.

So here's my 24 gnat with wings.

DSC01184.JPG

And this is Joseph Russell's bead head nymph

DSC01187.JPG

DJ Trout sends us this emerger

DSC01188.JPG

Michael Ray has a #18 hopper

DSC01189.JPG

Breambuster has a #18 nymph beadhead

DSC01191.JPG

BassBugn sends us a #18 Adams style classic dry

DSC01193.JPG

J-Kno sends this #18 tubing nymph

DSC01199.JPG

Jolly Red has some small ants for us, and they're plentiful around here

DSC01203.JPG

Add 147 has a lovely little bead head hackled nymph

DSC01195.JPG

And kennebec12 has graced us with a pair of flies, an 18 nymph and 26 black gnat

DSC01200.JPG DSC01201.JPG

And last and this time least, at least in size, is Crackleback's emerger on a 32 hook

DSC01202.JPG

Love the tiny flies, they are essential for spring in Maine, though 18 is too big sometimes, and again in late summer early fall (but you hope that the stoneflies are producing better than the tiny BWO that can get smaller than 28 or it will be slooooow fishing). DJtrout's emerger looks to be a fish catcher for spring when the first crane flies hatch, and all those small nymphs should produce in slower water all summer. Bassbugn's Adams ought to fish well for most of the summer also until the little black caddis hatch and then gray or other colors become hard to fish, same goes for vicriders gnat (I think the dubbing is tan). Can't wait to see michael ray's up close, that's a lot of material on a small hook, will have to see it in real life to know when to use it effectively. Cracklebacks 32 will officially become the smallest fly in my arsenal, I think I'll have to pre-tie it onto tipppet. The little flies are tough, great job everyone, and kudo's to all who don't tie smaller than 16 regularly it's a challenge. I did my best to keep the eye's clear so everyone who fishes swap/small flies will hopefully be able to use them without hassle.