Fly Tying
josephcsylvia

Swapmeisters too slow?

Ok, so I can understand the new rule and I think its great but theres some other things that need to be said.

Having run a very small amount of swaps I can tell you that the delays are almost always related to the people in the swap. Get your flies in on time. Ive had people go two weeks past deadline and not return a message. Ive had people not send in return postage, not toe tag or label their box. Even had people send different flies!

Being a swapmeister is a hard gig. So getting your flies in on time is important and if there is a problem, theres no reason you cant communicate!.stay in touch and keep them updated.

We already have a banned swappers list and have for years, if a swapper is quite late then they need to be reported for it, they get 3 strikes till they are out(unless they have a very good reason). The new rule for SM's is in effect simply because there have been a few reports of late SM's over the past month and no real rules for a time frame of when they have to have all flies shipped.

Since we already have a rule for swappers sending in flies on time, and banned list for swappers then this issue has already been addressed. If there are problems with swappers then report them and we will handle it.

I know that I thought about reporting a couple people but didn't due to the fact that things happen, but if others are getting upset with the swapmeister over it then that's the thing to do for sure.

And Steve I created this post to let others know that being on time is important for the people in the swap as well. I think your 8 day rule combined with hosts actually turning in late swappers will keep things on track.

Joe, we've all talked about this in the past. I'm torn between two things. Giving too much time for a swap seems to make people forget about it and keep putting it off 'til last minute anyway. Giving too short a time frame will cause some people to say they just can't make that deadline. I kind of think that if a SM gives a due date that will include 4 weekends before drop dead date that should be sufficient. Giving two months for swaps I think causes more trouble than a short time frame.

In the couple of years I've been here there's a hard core group (like me) that hits a lot of swaps, enjoys it, and is almost always on time. I get in almost all swaps except deer hair since I embarrass myself with my efforts and what others do. I have often given my spot to a new person who wants in but missed it or someone who really is into that type of fly and fishing. I hope as SM I can continue the tradition of good swaps this board is known for.

Being from overseas makes it difficult when there are hiccups.

When they work, they work and when they don't they can be disapointing for everyone involved.

Here are some ideas to consider when joining or hosting a swap.

Swapmeister duties

1. Announce your intentions for the fly swap. Provide instructions on what type of flies to tie and a total on the number of tiers for the swap. I try to stick with a quantity of 12 tyers including myself. That seems to be a number that everyone is comfortable with. When you post your swap, also provide a signup deadline and a deadline for the flies to be in. Stick to the swap deadline! Don’t wait for PROCRASTINATORS! They spoil the swap for everybody! Any swapmeister shall have the right to refuse any swapper as necessary

2. Provide instructions for mailing in flies. Post your mailing address in a private message (PM) after all swappers have signed up.

3. When the swap is full post on the BB it is full so other tiers won't be wasting there time trying to join the swap.

4. When you receive flies from the tiers, let them know on the bulletin board/forum or send a PM to each swapper that you have received their swap flies.

5. Once you receive all flies from all tiers, its time to sort them, get them all packaged up and deliver them to the post office in a timely manner. Notify all tiers either on the bulletin board/forum or by PM that you have mailed out the flies to them.

6. This is an option not a requirement – if the swapmeister has the time and resources, it is a nice gesture to photograph the swap flies individually and post them to the bulletin board/forum for anybody to view them.

7. It is important that swapmeisters and tyers communicate with each other thru a private message (PM) or in a bulletin board/forum posting. Swapmeisters it is a good idea to check your post at least once a day, to see if you have any more swappers that have signed up, or in case any of your swappers have questions.

8. Life events happen and some are emergencies. If you encounter an event that is going to make your commitment to the swap impossible, please have the common courtesy of contacting the Swappers in a reasonable amount of time so he can advertise for a substitute Swapmeister.

Fly swapper duties

1. Understand what you are getting yourself into. When you join a swap, please read the guidelines the swapmeister has provided and adhere to those guidelines! If you feel that you cannot tie the type of fly the swapmeister has posted or if you find the quantity of flies to be tied too many don’t join the swap.

2. Procrastinators – why join a fly swap when you know you’re always late to send in flies?

3. Post what fly pattern you will be tying.

4. Tie your swap flies and let the swapmeister know you have finished.

5. Include with your flies a toe tag (small piece of paper) with the name of the fly, your name and/or bulletin board/forum user name and your email address so the other tiers can email you for the fly tying instructions. (Please see the end of this article regarding toe tags.)

6. When mailing your flies, please send them in a strong enough and big enough box that will protect them and will hold all of the flies you will be receiving back. Obviously the size of the flies is going to dictate what size of container to mail them in. Mark the box with your name and address and your user name. It would be a nice gesture if you can mail your swap flies at least 10 days before the end of the swap so they will get to the swapmeister by the deadline date or earlier. (Please see the end of this article for more on containers/boxes.)

7. (Domestic swappers) Swappers must include a self addressed stamped envelope that is strong enough and big enough for the fly box/container you send in and will receive back. Include postage on your return envelope in the form of stamps. Here is what I do: insert the fly box/container in the return envelope (do not seal it at this time) and ask the postmaster for postage from the swapmeisters zip code. Affix the correct amount of stamps to the return envelope. Now you can insert that envelope into the larger mailing envelope and get the postmaster to get you the final postage.

(International swappers) Swappers must communicate with the swapmeister regarding postal issues. Swappers may want to purchase an IRC (International Reply Coupon)
to pay for return postage or may choose to remit payment using PayPal as long as both swapper and swapmeister has an account with PayPal. Please contact your local Postal Service regarding the IRC.

8. When you receive the swap flies back in the mail notify the Swapmeister on the BB or by PM that you have received them.

9. Life events happen and some are emergencies. If you encounter an event that is going to make your commitment to the swap impossible, please have the common courtesy of contacting the Swapmeister in a reasonable amount of time so he can advertise for a substitute.

I want to host a swap but with so many people getting in them then not keeping there commitments to the swap with out telling the host it has made me think twice about it .. I know crap happens but be for real it take a couple minute to Pm the host to tell them they can not do it .. Flytire your post says it all thank you for posting it

Steve-stabgnid

Dingbat, host your swap. I'm all caught up but just don't have a good plan for a swap right now. I'm in with possible exceptions after you post.

I just hosted my first swap here and I must say with a couple small exceptions everything was done on time and to spec, Lot of good people and extemely skilled tiers here. This is the internet and unfortunately there are quite a few flakes in this environment and it only takes a few seconds to type " I'm in" . That said there are a whole lot of good people for every flake so do your swap, and follow flytire's advice, if they are late and don't contact you just ignore them and send the packages back a one fly short.then report them.

As a whole it works well. There is, in my experience, usually one or two that go mia in a swap. Don't sweat it. When I host a swap again there are some I won't let join for failure to keep a commitment.

Kudu, even though we feel bad about doing it you should report the no shows. The people I've had late have contacted me so I've not reported anyone but will in future if you have an MIA.

Of the swap masters that were slow, did anyone ever communicate with them of did a couple of people just run and tattle?

Of the swap masters that were slow, did anyone ever communicate with them of did a couple of people just run and tattle?

I always try several times to contact someone. I have had to report people but you bet I tried enough first.

Kevin