Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
cphubert

Stripping Baskets

Being a retired Senior Chief and very frugal I have been using a old dish tub for my stripping basket. well it gave up the ghost and the newer ones are thinner and maybe a harder plastic that crack in short order with a belt holes cut into them. what are you using? and is it worth the money? Any experience good and bad would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Chris

I made a couple of stripping baskets. First one was from the s bottom of 2 5 gallon buckets. I cut 4" from the bottom, and removed enough of the side on each to join them in a figure 8. Cut 4 slits for a belt to into and back out of each side. It was a bit too big, and tipped down too much. So I had a smaller bucket, and it had slits around the top edge where the lid locked in place. I simply ran the belt through these, and drilled drain holes around the bottom. This one works pretty well. All these buckets were quite sturdy plastic from chlorine tablets buckets from my pool supplies, so they were essentially free.

Doesn't anyone drill holes for drainage in their stripping baskets anymore? It used to be 'de rigeur'.

Rocco

Thanks for the replies, I like the fruit basket idea and will order one, I agree Rocco I had small holes to drain my basket, I don't know why they fell out of favor.

I made several before getting tired of the cracking, splitting etc. etc. then bought a LInekurv. Best thing I ever did.

Over in UK I've used an IKEA foot stool. Sure they'll be similar in Walmart or similar. They are handy as they are shaped so sit on the waist well.

I did not want to pay for a "real" basket for 8 years, but I finally caved due to the hassle of constantly fixing my old homemade basket and the occasional tangles becoming more bothersome than I thought I could deal with. Well, what I did was call around to all my fly fishing friends who were retired guides or just much older who may have friends who can no longer fly fish or just a spare basket. I ended up getting a used orvis basket from one of them for around the price it would take for me to build one. Now that I have the orvis basket, I cannot believe I went so many years without it. I'm very happy with the orvis basket I have, but I would not of had it if not for the deal I made with my friend. I would of bought the Linekurv due to the difference in price. If I were you, I would look for anyone with a spare or used "real" basket or find someone who will buy you one with any discount they may have before paying the full price. I do enjoy my new basket much more than my homemade one and cannot think of anything negative to say except the price if bought the normal way. Tight Lines.