Fly Tying
feathers5

micro-buggers

I read an article one time about tying micro-buggers for trout. These are tied on regular wet fly hooks or whatever, in sizes such as 10, 12 & 14. I can't remember where I read the article. I was just wondering if anyone does and would like to offer a few patterns. I've just been using the usual woolybugger recipes and tying them smaller.

Thanks

Never heard the term 'micro-bugger', but I've been fishing size 10 & 12 wooly buggers

for some time now - there are picky fish in a catch & release stretch I fish that more

often than not will ignore anything big, especially if it's not dawn or dusk.

I tie and fish them quite often sometimes tied like a small woolly bugger and sometimes just my version of it depending on what I am trying to mimic. Commonly what I am matching are stoneflies, juvenile sculpin, crane fly larvae, Fall Caddis. I have some that just work and don't really know why other than they are attractive to the fish and mimic many different "bugs"

My all around favorite is a mini-ostrich bugger. Simply, on a size #14 2x-3x long hook with a very small bead head, tie in 3-4 ostrich feather barbs with the tapered ends as a tail and wrap the hook shank with the rest. secure with very small diameter wire or thread. This is my search fly on stillwater and streams. Just adjust the color of the fly with different color combinations of ostrich fibers (like 3 green/1 brown or 2 brown/2 yellow etc.) Seems to work anywhere I fish. I originally used it for damselfly nymphs in a high mountain lake. This is a picture of the original pattern, but I have found different combinations of natural, brown, black, olive all work well. Natural and a little brown works good for callibeatis nymphs, black and brown for winter stoneflies, brown and black for many mayflies just to name a few. I like to blend the colors in the tail and body and then go with the darker color behind the bead in the thorax area. They are about as simple as it gets to tie.

post-13329-1207676353_thumb.jpg

Wow, I guess I'm a micro guy -- I didn't realize that was so different. My buggers and leeches average probably a size 10. I usually go with bugger variations like the midnight fire, painted lady, lemon lime etc. I tie a lot of leeches in those sizes too. Sometimes I have to go small to get into the fish. Just a matter of necessity.

I tend to use the method for all of my bugger style flies, but it works really well on the smaller ones. Tie in your marabou just ahead of the bend. Without binding the rest of the marabou down, advance your thread to the head. Twist the remaining marabou into a rope and wrap around the hook. Tie off and add a small wet hackle at the front (swept back) if you want.

Quick, easy, and it's caught me a lot of fish.

Deeky

I use a micro bugger, its tied on a size 10 streamer hook, tungsen cone, marabou tail, silli legs and sparkle leech dubbing, Thing works like a champ and does really well on tailwaters known for small flies.

post-8781-1207750286_thumb.jpg

I've been tying tan buggers on a size 14 dry fly hook for years for steelhead on a certian river I fish and have done extremely well with them in the past B)

I tie 2 micro-buggers one black one white

Black Micro-bugger

Hook: Mustad 9672 size 10-14

Weighted lead wire or sub

thread: black 6/0

tail: 6-8 ostrich feather barbs

rib: smallest copper wire I can find ( got some out of and old VCR)

Body: 3-4 Peacock herl with black CDC palmed over it

Hackle: just behind the eye 2 wraps of Ring Neck pheasant the feathers from the dark ring on the neck ( really nice color)

I trim the CDC pretty close so none of the barbs stick out pass the hook point.

The white Micro-bugger

Hook: Mustad 9672 size 10-14

Weighted lead wire or sub

thread: Red 6/0

tail: 6-8 ostrich feather barbs

rib: pearl flash

Body: white yarn and small grizzle hackle palmed

This fly is taken as a pin fish or some other small bait fish I think

For all reading this thread I just started a micro bugger swap if anyone is interested. Down here we don't have trout but we still love micro buggers, they are killer panfish flies.

post-11886-1207880488_thumb.jpg

these are #10