Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Kudu

Tybee Island

Any guide recommendations? Heading there this fall. Want to take my son out for some fishing and crabbing.

Good luck. Never got a guide, or fly fished while I was there, and nobody gave me any advice on here, I just bait fished from the pier and caught the usual assortment of blues, sharks, horseshoe crabs lol

Kudu ... as far as crabbing goes, keep it simple. You can buy the crab traps. The easiest are just round nets that hang from a three point harness.

Tie a chicken neck to the center and lower it off any pier, bridge or seawall you want. The blue crabs will crowd onto the neck, and after a few minutes, you pull up several crabs. It works because the crabs' legs get stuck in the netting and they can 't got out faster than you can pull the net up. (which means you need a little speed pulling it up)

The only downside to this type of trap is: If there are a ton of crabs, the ones on top don't get caught in the net and swim off before you get them up. But they always come back when you drop the trap back in.

If you want to spend a little more ... you can get the hinged trap.

When you pull up on this one, it pulls the sides up and traps all the crabs on the neck. You don't lose the ones on top.

For fun, you can always just use a long handled landing net and a chicken neck on a string. A crab or two will hang onto the neck almost to the surface of the water. If you get the net under it or them fast enough, you catch a crab. This is the most fun way ... more like fishing, where some skill is involved.

Fishing is easiest with spinning gear and bait. (Cheap salt water rods can be had at Walmart) This is a very fun way to spend the day without a guide or big money spent. You never know what you'll catch ... flounder, cobia, sharks, sheeps head and more.

You don't say how old your son is, so these recommendations are for a young son and a good time. If you are going to visit your son who is in the military ... you might want to spend more money and check out guides.

Go to http://takemefishing.org/select-a-state

It's the site I use when I travel to new destinations.

When are you going? I used to live a few minutes away on Wilmington Island but live a bit over an hour away in Statesboro now.

No idea on guides but there are quite a few in the area with many of them accommodating of fly anglers (some of which are fly specific if you google as such). Lots of fly fishing around if you get a guide or have a boat.

October is the hot month for Bull Reds on the beach (they get 40"+). If you're half crazy you could take a 10 or 12 weight, big flies, and an intermediate sinking line of some sort and fish the surf, in or just past the breakers, on the northwestern tip of Tybee (the corner where the top meets the backside of the island). The easier way is to get a surf rod, some cut mullet, and hit the pier. Though you can catch them any time the best fishing is early, late, or during really crappy weather.

I know of another spot where you can fish from shore with conventional or fly tackle and catch trout (speckled trout).

Recommendations change a bit if you're going earlier or later. Let me know exactly when you're going and I'll be glad to help if I can.