Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytire

autumn silver

Great video. I just shake my head as I watch them landing big fish with click and pawl reels. I have a hard time with the disk drags. I guess you just need to know what you're doing. Thanks

I love these "old" movies.... as feathers5 points out, all the most wonderfullest modern technology doesn't mean a thing if the operator doesn't know what the heck they are doing. Millions of tons of big fish were landed with tackle modern spoiled fly fishermen would consider to be junk in today's over-marketed world. the fish have not changed.

All of my early tarpon (all those years ago...) were night fish up to about 40lbs and every one of them were taken on an 8 or 9wt rod with that first generation Scientific Anglers reel (actually a Hardy Marquis model re-badged for SA...). They came with double clickers (but only had one engaged when we got the reel -you had to turn the second clicker until it engaged for a slight drag....with the two clickers in play...).

They were great fun and just screamed when you hooked up at night under one of the five bridges that connect Miami and Miami Beach... You very quickly learned to palm the rim of the reel and to avoid that darned handle that would definitely chip up a careless fingernail or bloody up a knuckle... They actually worked surprisingly well once you learned what was needed. We mostly used reels that were at least one size larger than the line size we were using to get a greater diameter reel (larger diameter meant a bit more line taken up with each turn of the handle when fighting a fish....).

Of course this was back in the late seventies and I was just learning to fly fish.... I was a member of a competitive fishing club (the old Tropical Anglers club in Miami -still going strong all these years later - and they'd already been around a long time when I joined in 1976..). Since they had a fly fishing tackle category you could compete in, I was encouraged to fish for everything with a fly (when i wasn't using 4lb spin, or some other tackle class..).

Of course I was a lot younger then.... and had a half dozen of those old double clicker fly reels - they were so much less money than my dream reels -the Fin Nors and the Seamasters.... I didn't have my first Fin Nor until almost twenty years later...

Wulff's skills with UL fly tackle should be mentioned. He often used a 7' 2 oz rod and sometimes a 6' bamboo rod on Atlantic Salmon. As a stunt , he even cast to and landed a salmon with just a reel in his hands -- no rod. (Recorded before witnesses on tape.)

Rocco