Fly Tying
JAMAL

Griffin Odyssey Spider Fly Tying Vise

hi, I just bought a Griffin Odyssey Spider Fly Tying Vise. there so many version of this vise.

it is using cam lock jaws unlike the older version which use screw to clamp. this is my

travel spare vise, my main vise is Renzetti Master to add cost it is limited edition black, add cost again with saltwater pedestal. I love the Griffin Odyssey Spider cam lock jaw. it seem that it can hold larger that 4/0 hook as advertise. unlike Renzetti lower model it is using spring on the jaw, Where Renzetti and others is using rubber "O" ring which wear in a year. it is recommended for it is price at US$102.

there is another with brass nut and a nice bobbin cradle for additional US$35.

2aifvc4.jpg

28k6emv.jpg

You don't get along with o-rings. They rapidly deteriorate where you're located.

You do realize that the Odyssey uses o-rings, too, right?

Griffin has offered some good tools over the years and backed them with great service.

Griffin use "O" ring at the rotation friction part. to control or jam the rotation.

to me this are good average vise. I bought a china vise, it have so many

problem and the jaw broke. I replaced the jaw with original Renzetti

Apprentice jaw and sold it off. smile.png

about me? Can see me at:-

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=83907

You don't get along with o-rings. They rapidly deteriorate where you're located.

Griffin has offered some good tools over the years and backed them with great service.

Just tested, it can clamp size 8/0 hook. I think size 9/0 hook also can clamp but I can't find 9/0 hook. :)

Never had a problem with the O ring on the jaw of my griffin. It's about 8 years old, original O ring going strong. I have read bad comments on O rings yet have never experienced any of the complaints. Leads me to believe the problem is not the O ring. Plus an O ring costs about a quarter if it does go bad.

Never had a problem with the O ring on the jaw of my griffin. It's about 8 years old, original O ring going strong. I have read bad comments on O rings yet have never experienced any of the complaints. Leads me to believe the problem is not the O ring. Plus an O ring costs about a quarter if it does go bad.

I keep hearing about O rings on Griffin vises. What exactly does the O ring do ( it's function not it's failure) ?

Griffin use "O" ring at the rotation friction part. to control or jam the rotation.

to me this are good average vise. I bought a china vise, it have so many

problem and the jaw broke. I replaced the jaw with original Renzetti

Apprentice jaw and sold it off. smile.png

about me? Can see me at:-

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=83907

That wouldn't matter to me, I tie no larger than 2/0 and no smaller than size 24 and then that is rare. I most commonly tie between #20 and 1/0. I hadn't really considered this vise, I might have to take a closer look, where it's well priced for my retiree budget..

I keep hearing about O rings on Griffin vises. What exactly does the O ring do ( it's function not it's failure) ?

If you look at Jamal's pictures, above, the o-ring is the second item away from the stem on the clamp side. It's the "brake" the clamp tightens down on, to control the rotation feature.

oh dear, you know why I hate "O" ring. when I took out my Renzetti traveller to tie fly, the "O" is faulty. it happen so many time.

sometimes the shop have no stock, so you understand my frustration. it depend on your climate. here is summer every day.

I sold my Renzetti traveller and I now avoid "O" ring at the clamp. smile.png

I sold my Renzetti traveller and I now avoid "O" ring at the clamp. smile.png

so then you go out and buy an griffin vise that has an o-rings to control the rotary tension. now youll have more failures in your climate

your logic doesnt make sense

i lived in a dry climate and nothing went wrong with my 1989 renzetti traveler. then i moved to a more humid climate and nothing went wrong

all you had to do is relpace the RUBBER o-ring with a SILICONE o-ring on the renzetti

If you look at Jamal's pictures, above, the o-ring is the second item away from the stem on the clamp side. It's the "brake" the clamp tightens down on, to control the rotation feature.

Thanks Mike.

I'd rather have a replaceable O ring as a wear item than scored out parts from a metal screw. The hardware store generally has many kinds of O rings to choose from at that.

Griffin will send you an O-ring for free. That's what they told me when it was time to replace the ring on my 10 year old 2A. Griffin has top notch service.

eric

fresno, ca.

I love my Renzetti Master limited edition to add cost a saltwater pedestal is inculded.

Eric is right.Just send them an email and they will ship you an O ring free.Broke a piece on my montana mongoose and they replaced the entire vise.No questions.Had it back in a week.