Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Li'lDave

Stacked hair swap - let's bite off more than we can chew

SWAP CLOSED

I know I'm going to regret this boys and girls.... But I've been teaching myself some stacking lately.... and I notice that there are a few members here with some skill.... So..... You know where this is going, don't you..

Stacked hair swap. You know you want to.... any pattern, salt or fresh, so long as there is a stacked hair component. I don't care what you stack with,... whether you use deer hair, moose, synthetics or whatever floats your boat.

This will take some time, so.... due date JULY 31. International swappers as always are welcome, as are beginners through to experts. I want a max of 10 swappers and myself, but regardless we'll cap it so that we only tie one fly for each member (so if we only get 5 and me, then we'll only tie 5 flies each). Clear as mud?

SM - deer hair and zonker mullet (FINISHED)

1. Joseph Russel - Dave's Hopper ARRIVED!

2. JasonV - Salmon bomber - ARRIVED (wow!)

3. Vicrider - Muddler - ARRIVED (woot)

4. Eastern fly - Beautiful sliders - ARRIVED (stunning ties)

5. Dorado - Goddard caddis - ARRIVED!!

6. Adam Saarinen - fire ass - ARRIVED (WOOT)

Of course we need to consider return postage. The cost is usually about $10.50 australian, but can be more or less depending on weight. I can accept US dollars, and tend to use this in other swaps to cover return postage home, or if you have access, I also use paypal. For which I can send details when the time comes to sort postage.

I have a lovely skin from this year shoot so I will take part with some baby fuzzy micey things.

Thanks guys! I was worrying that I scared people off.

Come one, come all! You'll have a ball!

Well, I just said in another post I didn't have time or inclination to learn the stacking process but with this much time to work and learn I'll give it a try. I did buy a video from a well known hair stacker who claims to make it easy to accomplish nice bugs. I won't claim any pattern yet but if I can make it work I'd like to do a large muddler/sculpin design. If anyone saw Gapen's original Muddlers, and I still have a couple, they didn't have a very good stacking job on their flies. If worse comes to worse I figure I can always do a smaller one that can work as almost anything on top or bottom. I used a little #12 Muddler on northern stocked trout lakes for years and seldom needed anything else on top. No matter what was on top they seemed to be willing to eat the Muddler.

Looking good so far guys.

Just to reiterate, you have until July 31 to get them here down under. It's about improving skills, so don't be scared to join if you're thinking you're not up to it. I have only really seriously been playing with this technique for less than 6 months. ...

I'm just wondering how this is going to work? I mean with Aussie customs being how they are, not wanting any animal products from other contries, stuff like that! Anyway, how much stacked hair would these flies have to have? Is a muddler head enough?

Muddler head is fine.

i have never had a problem with flies. Have brought in fox, squirrel etc and notnhad any dramas (yet).

Ive received a few deer hair products as well. No dramas (yet)