Fly Tying
C LeBo

How to Skin a Rooster?

Hey I just bought a rooster with an excellent furnace brown cape on him and was looking to make good use of it. I've cleaned plenty of birds but never have tried to keep the skin intact, so does anyone know of a good tutorial or video that illustrates the process?

Thank You and Tight Lines,

Carson LeBoeuf

Don't say that!!! You'll get PETA on your case.

THere is a book by Eric Lieser called "Fly Tying Materials" which explains how to skin a rooster for use by a fly tyer. If you can get a copy of that (try Barnes and Nobles' used books online) he gives a sbs that is very thorough.

It's also available at Amazon.com. Pretty steep for the new, but about ten bucks for the used.

You want to keep the bird off any food for a day or two so the crop empties, slice the front of the neck and you can peel back from the skull, keep some borax to rub your fingers in for grip and blade clean and just peel and release any tissue down to the shoulders. Cut the wings inside the bird and then the skin carries on peeling down. If its only the cape your after you could cut straight across at this point.

Piker20, after you do that and save the cape, will the rooster grow that back in?

Okay, yes I know better. Butchered many of the dang things in the past. It's a joke based on the hackle regrow post.

For those that haven't read it.. Eric Leiser's book was my bible years and years ago. I covers every phase of handling, processing, and dyeing natural materials. Don't know if there's a something a bit more modern around but that book is well worth a read for any tyer since it goes into depth about most natural materials and is still valid today.