Fly Tying
Graham

Japanese Nymph Legs

Tying with Japanese Nymph Legs – Creating a Bully Bugger

Well, OK, you asked for it, but I’m going to try and have some fun with this as well. Let’s start with a 10xl long hook and tye more than six legs, won’t be an insect, so I’ll call it a Bully Bugger.

You might be asking; what are Japanese Nymph Legs. As far as I know they are very thin strips of plastic impregnated with silicone. Very similar to the plastics used in model cars and airplanes. The plastic can be bent quite easily with a hot bodkin, needle or tweezers. Once bent they hold their position well, and are remarkably strong. There is an art form in Japan where skilled hands and a hot needle transform these little plastic strips in Samurai solders, with helmets and swords. Using this product for fly tying is much easier, just a couple simple bends and they look good.

user posted image

1. First step making this fly was coloring and tying on two pieces of 2mm foam strips, as well as an underbody of medium Chenille.

user posted image

2. Here three individual Japanese Nymph Leg shafts are tyed on together, under the hook shank, with three tight wraps of thread over and across, then three wraps over and behind, to keep the legs perpendicular to the hook.

user posted image

3. Using a heated Bodkin tip, all three leg shaft pieces are easily bent. I use a Bic lighter and hold the Bodkin tip in the flame for one or two seconds, then put the tip on the legs and push the legs in the desired direction. Heating the tip too hot will burn right through the legs, severing them off.

user posted image

4. Here I bend the legs again, trying for a ready to hop or jump position, and then covered them with my 8/0 tying thread. Spinning the Bobbin in a counter clockwise direction, beyond enough to flatten the thread, makes the thread much easier to control and keeps it from looping off of the legs.

This will be the only set of legs with thread on them.

user posted image

5. To start coloring the legs, they were quickly touched with a Pantone permanent marker, and then Softex (or Flexament) is painted on the legs using a bodkin tip, to seal the thread into place.

user posted image

6. Painting over the legs with Acrylic canvas varnish, colored with a drop or two of pearlescent pigments, allows for building up the shape, and depth of color. The varnish mix is semi-transparent when dry.

user posted image

user posted image

7. Using three more Japanese Nymph Leg shafts, a second set of legs are tyed onto the hook.

user posted image

8. The legs are bent using a heated bodkin tip.

user posted image

9. Two sections are trimmed off each leg, with each cut right above a bent joint. This will allow for a tapered leg.

user posted image

10. Instead of using thread to bind the pieces together, Softex was applied with a Bodkin tip and the pieces were glued together. Often the legs need to be held in position for about 20 seconds until the glue sets.

user posted image

11. The legs are colored with a marker and a layer of colored varnish.

user posted image

12. Two more sets of legs are tyed on.

user posted image

13. Legs are bent into position.

user posted image

14. Legs are trimmed, glued with Softex and colored with marker and varnish mix

user posted image

15. A halogen tying lamp allows for rapid drying of varnish mix.

user posted image

16. The Bully Bugger is starting to take shape. The front legs will have small claws, more coloring needs to be done to the entire fly. It will hopefully look cool when I finish it and post a final picture.

user posted image

I told you I was going to have fun with this.

user posted image

When tying Mayflies only one single shaft of Japanese Nymph Leg is needed for each set of legs. It’s much easier and faster using only one shaft per leg and the methods I use for bending and coloring are the same. The Acrylic varnish mix is thick enough to allow for adding some definition and shape. It’s useful to note that flies fished on the surface will sink if the foam is coated with varnish. For foam dry flies, to be fished, I just use permanent markers for body and leg coloration.

I hope this is helpful,

Graham

I buy mine at Hatchmasters - Materials

I need to mention that there are other, more realistic ways to use Japanese Nymph Legs. I tye mine the quickest way that satisfies me, painting the legs. Some tyers, such as Paul Whillock, tye a goose biot over the bent legs, or wrap a thin strip of Swiss Straw (raffia) over the product to create a realistic tapered leg. I have seen other tyers slip the product through a short, hollowed out porcupine quill, then tye it under the hook, for a nice tapered leg. The same can be done with plastic wire insulation. There are probably countless new ways to use this product to make insect legs. It's fun to play around with.

Graham

Hi Sjo Crapels

I see you are from the Netherlands. The link Graham posted is indeed the right one. It is your ISP that is giving you trouble. I have had several friends from your side of the pond experience the same thing. And most were from the Netherlands. For example a friend Steve Thornton can't access the page from his home in the UK but another friend Paul Whillock can no problem. And after lengthy examination the problem is on that end.

If you are still interested drop me an Email at:

[email protected]

Regards

Dale Beamish

I should have done the tutorial on tying, bending and coloring legs on a realistic or fishable pattern. Yesterday I couldn’t figure what to do with the creature and it’s the only tying effort I can recall that got tossed in the trash bin. Oh well, I blame it on the Memorial Day margaritas. With my Adirondack trip only a few weeks away I’m back to tying fishing flies.

Graham

Graham

I have also used the Japanese Nymph legs with much success, and you are correct, there are many uses. I appreciate you tips on coloring etal. One approach I have learned is to color ( one can experiment with light thin strokes of color and/or "small dots of color" then applying a coating solution. Repeating this process with extremely light/thin layers of coating adds a touch of translucency/depth to the finish leg....much the same as finishing a piece of furniture to achieve that deep satin look...

tight lines, Vince

Hello, I know Graham posted a link to the site he uses but it does not work for me.

Can someone please post a link for a site where they buy their Japanese nymph legs?

Dale at Virtual Nymph has them, as do Deer Creek (both UK suppliers), and Dave Hise at Casters Fly Shop which may be the best source your over the big pond.

Cheers,

C.