Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
BillF

Help UV resin leak

My UV resin bottle leaked a bit onto my wooden desk about 1-2 weeks ago. The resin has not been cured with UV. It has gotten sticky and there are some stubborn parts that are not wiping up.

Can anyone recommend a way (solvent or other) to remove the uncured glue without harming the wooden surface?

Thanks

If it hasn't cured, try rubbing alcohol or alcohol pads. I use the alcohol pads to clean the bottles and brushes that I use for apply the UV resin.

Kind of goes along with a question I had. Is there a solvent/thinner that can be used to thin out thick UV resin? Same solvent would also be for clean up.

Silver ???

I think I mentioned it earlier, Mike. I've used isopropyl alcohol(rubbing alcohol) to thin some of my thicker resins. Didn't seem prevent the resin from curing.

Alcohol is pretty invasive on most finishes, I assume for the same / similar reason it will remove the uv resin... Shellac, for instance, is a resin mixed with alcohol as a thinner.

You might want to test it on an inconspicuous area first...

I assume you tried wood oil?

When you guys talk about using isopropyl alcohol ... I'm assuming you're getting the 99% stuff? The bottle we have on the shelf here at home is only 45% alcohol.

I'm asking about using it as a thinner, not a cleaner.

When all else fails cure the resin and go after it with a single-edge razor blade, like you would to remove a sticker from glass.

Flytire, yes I have. Im not usually clumsy but sometimes I wonder... Kilchs idea works but is a last resort. I will say that acetone works wonders too but it will badly damage the finish on the wood if its not completely cleaned up immediately and then wiped with water. I learned that the hard way, taking epoxy off of my rod repairing table.