Fly Tying
FlatsRoamer

Got a Summer Job... quit

So I kinda got lowballed. I worked the hours to get (yes after taxes) 325$, then plus tip money so I should have been paid around $335...

I got paid 100$

Did I mention that NONE of my managers speak English except the GM who of course is never there when I am. Like honestly, how can you be a manager in the US and not speak a word of English?

Now I am not crying or complaining, but when I do the math and bust my ass off to make a certain goal when I am saving up for a gheenoe, and then I get lowballed, yeah it kinda hurts. I do NOT want any sympathy from you guys..

Btw, I still haven't technically resigned or quit or whatever. Should I just text the GM or meet with him or what. Kinda new to the whole job thing haha

I'm curious how you worked 325.00 worth of post tax dollars but were only paid a hundred. What was the hourly rate and how many hours did you work? What was the job? Assuming the minimum wage of $7.25 an hour you would have to work roughly 55 hours to net $325.00. To get paid only a hundred, I would say you were robbed and there's no way in hell I would go back to work.

I would say you need to find out when the GM is going to be there and go and meet with him/her in person. I would definitely NOT try to address it in a text message. Even if you're no longer seeking your illegally withheld pay, I would still go in person to officially quit. Doing it over the phone or a text message would be unprofessional, in my opinion, and even though it's just a summer job, it's never too early to establish good work habits.

Good luck -- I had the same experience with the first job I ever had. I was a busboy in a Greek restaurant, and the owner would routinely short us on our pay because (I assume) he figured teenagers would be too scared to confront an adult (much less The Boss) about it. I was 14 at the time, very timid, passive kid, and was resigned to being cheated, but my parents insisted that I confront him--politely and respectfully--and ask for the money I had earned. I did, and he smiled and coughed it right up. In retrospect, I think he probably meant it as a learning experience for us. I would learn that he thought of the kids who worked for him as kind of "his" kids, and he regarded it as his duty to teach us how the world worked. He continued to short my check every week for a long time, and every week I'd have to go see him and say, "I'm sorry sir, but I think you made a mistake here", at which point he'd smile and pay me the rest of my money without a word of protest. Eventually his wife took over doing the payroll and she just paid us what we'd earned without the "life lesson" built in, but I am grateful to old Gus (the owner) to this day for helping me learn that people will take advantage of you if you let them, and that you have to stand up for yourself because no one else will (or should have to).

Hey Flats I feel for you. I have worked a couple of jobs recently that shorted me, probably like Bryon A. Said, cause they thought I would be scared to protest. Meet the boss in person to quit, and if I were you I'd explain what you just told us about the hours and pay and respectfully ask for your earned pay.

Should be some kind of labor board to contact as well. A little investigation might reveal some illegals working there as well.

Again as asked, what kind of work are you doing?

I worked at a restaurant (going to stay secret). In FL the minimum wage is 8.10, but after taxes it figures to go to around 6$ an hour...

So I'll just go talk to him. He's actually a really nice guy, just bad at his job. He'll schedule 8 people to work a Tuesday night and 2 to work a busy Saturday afternoon... I mean come on dude

If he just tries to make an excuse or whatever about not paying me what I rightfully earned (those of you who have worked in restaurants know it is hard work). If he BSes me, I am done thanks for hiring never eating here again (you wouldn't believe what goes on in the back) bye bye.

Thanks for the responses

Are you getting paid cash? Under the table?

If you worked the hours for over $300 (and that's what you hired on for) ... and they only paid you $100 ... that's illegal, locally and federally.

If you're getting paid cash, then it's your word against theirs.

The only time I worked in a restaurant, tips were considered part of the wage.

Minimum Wage: $8:10 per hour

Expected tips earned: $6:00 per hour

Paycheck amount: $2:10 per hour.

40 hours paycheck = $84.00 plus tips

One could make a lot of money if you earned high tips.

In this restaurant tips are not considered part of the wage, since we don't really get much tips.

Nope not under the table at all. A real job where I am on a "payroll" and got my first paycheck today in my bank account. I'm not going to start a lawsuit or any legal stuff, but I am going to ask for my money and if I get denied then I'm done.

Plus, I have a bunch of flies in stock that I am going to try and sell hopefully. Also started a mini-apparel biz with a buddy. Just started with decals (if you want a couple lemme know that would be greatly appreciated)

Maybe you just learned about taxes, FICA, union dues, and kickbacks. I would quit owed money. Log everything and make it a point to meet with owner who speaka da englis and as long as you document things you go to local Attorney General's office and turn it over to them.

If you punch a time clock take a photo before the end of the week for proof.

That sounds like this Musso guy running firework stands in the area.

He had so many complaints about not paying workers that the local cops all got together over three counties and busted him hard on lic. issues. They confiscated EVERYTHING and shut him down...About 10 years late from my view.

File complaints with every-one you can find. When they get sick and tired of the complaints they might do something. Given the current political situation a call to ICE might get you more reward than the wages???

i dont think flats is telling us the entire story

from the internet

Most teens will be earning an hourly wage at their first summer job, and they might expect that by multiplying the number of hours they work by their wage, they’re calculating the total amount that will show up on their check.

But they may be in for a not-so-sweet surprise when they open up their first paycheck to discover that a chunk of that total is missing. That’s why it’s important for teens to understand what tax withholding is, what they qualify for and where those deductions are documented before they get their first paycheck.

So, What Is Tax Withholding?

Tax withholding is that chunk of money taken out of each and every paycheck. Teens should understand where that money goes and what it’s being used for. The tax deductibles can be broken down into four parts:

• Social Security: money that goes toward Social Security benefits in retirement.
  • Medicare: an insurance plan that provides medical benefits to Americans over the age of 65 and individuals with certain disabilities.
  • Federal Income Tax: a designated percentage of income given to the federal government.
  • State Income Tax: for states that collect state taxes, it’s a designated percentage of income given to your local government. (This percentage varies from state to state.)

What Do Teens Have to Pay?

Two payments every teen is required to make no matter the size of income are Social Security and Medicare. These will always be taken out of their paychecks. Things get a little trickier when it comes to determining whether your teen will owe federal or state taxes.

Teens earning less than $6,300 over the course of the year may claim an exemption from income tax withholding by giving the employer a new Form W-4, and won’t have to pay those taxes. However, if your teen has unearned income (interest or dividend income, for example) that threshold is much lower. Also, if income taxes have been withheld from a teen’s paycheck, that teen will need to file a tax return to get a refund. Sitting down with your teen and calculating their projected annual income will allow you both to learn whether federal taxes must also be taken into account.

Unlike federal taxes, state taxes can vary depending upon where you live. Each state can create its own tax law and have its own requirements. Check your local laws with your teen and again see if they are likely to owe state taxes.

Where Do I Find Tax Withholdings?

Now that your teens understand what tax withholdings are and if they are likely to owe taxes, they need to know where tax withholdings are documented and where they can keep track of them. This can be found on their paycheck.

These days, most companies use direct deposit so the earned income is sent directly to bank accounts, as opposed to a physical paycheck that must then be deposited at a bank. Teens must find out which form of payment their company will be using and plan accordingly. Employees using direct deposit will still have access to a paystub, even if they do not receive a paper check.

Regardless of whether they receive a paycheck or paystub, the document will contain:

• Gross income: the amount of money earned before tax deductions.
  • Tax deduction columns: lists of the amount being deducted for each section: Social Security (often listed as OASDI, which stands for Old-Age, Survivors and Disability Insurance), Medicare, federal and/or state taxes. This is where teens should look closely and make sure only the taxes they have to pay have been taken out and nothing more.
  • Net income: the amount your teen is actually taking home in their paycheck—gross income minus withholdings.

Understanding these concepts and knowing how to read a paycheck will help your teen understand their financial standings and catch any mistakes that could cause them to lose out on potential income.

You should get a pay stub with gross pay and withholding itemized, even if you have direct deposit.