Fly Tying
Bimini15

Saltwater hooks

I am running low on 1/0 hooks and I need to order some.

Used Mustad 34007 and 34011 forever, but I am willing to try something else.

What else do you guys use for a good sw hook that does not break the bank? I am not paying 50 cents for a hook.

Look into daichi 2546, although I do believe the price goes up a lot rather than the #2

Also, Mustad C70SD are underrated and great for the price.

Thanks,

Hook prices are getting kind of silly, from what I am seeing.

The U series is actually reasonable at $10.50 for 25pk. on Amazon.

I used to use very cheap hooks such as the mustad 3407 (yes 1 zero), until my buddy made it make sense.

"The hook is the only part of your whole entire fly setup that touches the fish"

Use good hooks, life's too short for lost fish on weak hooks. Notice how I didn't day expensive...

I've never had a hook break. I've had leaders or tippets break.

I've had hook open up, but only on snags, not on fish. The way I see that, if you lost a fish on a straightened hook, you weren't playing it correctly.

Forget brand names and prices and buy the hooks that fit the fly you wish to tie.

As is usually pointed out, fly tyers aren't usually known for being miserly with their money on materials ... why change that and quibble over a few dollars on hooks?

You also aren't chasing good sized saltwater fish either Mike, or specifically pursuing large freshwater gamefish for that matter.

As usual, people read what they want and miss the main points, Vicente:

"Forget brand names and prices and buy the hooks that fit the fly you wish to tie."

"... fly tyers aren't usually known for being miserly with their money on materials ... why change that and quibble over a few dollars on hooks?"

Thanks,

Hook prices are getting kind of silly, from what I am seeing.

The U series is actually reasonable at $10.50 for 25pk. on Amazon.

Bim, don't forget to try at Bears Den as long as you must order online. They offer pro sets or packs in big Qty and good discounts. Fast service too, all the way out here in BFE, Wyoming.

Flats also pointed out something that is odd in pricing. For some reason, a big jump in cost will hit if upping size from #2 to 1/0. Not sure why, maybe different tooling in the factory. So if #2 serves you well, may still get some savings and just slightly shrink your pattern. 2 cents

Being blessed with living close to great salt and freshwater fishing, I fish both. I also have fished the 34007 for many many years and I've yet to find a good reason to change. It's time honored and battle tested, stick with the 34007 and 34011 if they've never given you a reason to switch. The price is right.

I am still caught up on the prices of some of these hooks. I feel like I have been in a cave for years.

What the heck does a Tiemco 600 SP do for $2 a piece that the old 34007 does not?

Thanks for the replies, you are giving me some good options.

It affords you some kind of tackle snobbery. Buy one and then you can crow about how you spent tens of thousands of dollars on fishing equipment and your not going to take a chance losing a fish of a lifetime on a 10 cent hook. I've never had an issue with hooks breaking. Do they break? They sure do. Does one manufacturer break any more or less then the next? In my experience they sure don't.