Fly Tying
Papa Baske

Help with colouring uv cure resin

Do anyone of you have any experience with applying colour pigment to your uv cure resins. I'm looking for a colouring agent, that will give me a translusent colour, resembling coloured glass. I'm using Bug Bond and Loon uv resins. Any help will be appreciated

My wife say that there is UV nail polich in all the gory colors you could want! They even have nail ovens to cure the stuff!

I've never looked into it just passing on her observation. I personally think she has inhaled too much of that polish remover...

Rocco

Per ususal, flytire nailed the products that will deliver the result you want.

I have volunteers, with fingernails, toenails, available tonight to test whether O-T-C nail polishes, once thoroughly dry, can be coated with Loon or tuffleye resins. Will photograph results unless disaster ensues. Testing will commence about 7pm MST tonight, Dec 12, 2017.

Please call off the dogs before that time if you know, or suspect, this is gonna turn out badly. I will check here before starting.

PETA aficionados take a nerve pill- it was only a figure of speech. No animals will be harmed in the filming of this matter. Not sure about human volunteers.

Not certain, also, how close to translucent the colors will be, but YOLO- or so they say. :)

I have looked at the nail polish and paint from Loon, but it's not as translucent as i would like. Will look further at the resins flytire posted a link to. Thanks for the help guys

Papa ... I'm not sure by what you mean as "translucent", which means " ... allowing light, but not detailed images, to pass through; semitransparent."

Transparent objects are clear. Translucent objects allow only some light to pass through them. Opaque objects allow no light to pass through.

On a fly, if you get pearlescent polishes or paints I would think that "translucent" and "polish with a layer of clear UV over it" would give similar effects

Quick testing update:

Prelim results- This seems to be a case of- just go with the right tool (supplies) designed for the job, as flytire and kimo have demonstrated. DIY can get downright UGLY. Maybe Silver Creek will ring in with the chemistry reasons

Loon UV Resin

Mahogany Brn (Mix)

Olive Brn (Mix)

Clear25189086_1807150512629582_77923683274187

Kimo

Thicker Loon, leading pack so far here but still not good mixed with my color products

Thanks Kimo

Try an internet search for "color UV cure resins" , I found several things that look promising, used in jewelry and art work, as well as an instructable and tube videos.Stuff used in jewelry work looks most translucent.

I am thinking of Mixing tungsten powder with UV resin, maybe going to be able to paint weight on some different flies to avoid bulk. After reading this thread and playing around, I'm not doing that without sound advice from those with expertise .

Thanks for all the input guys. Definitely something to work with.

Papa ... I'm not sure by what you mean as "translucent", which means " ... allowing light, but not detailed images, to pass through; semitransparent."

Transparent objects are clear. Translucent objects allow only some light to pass through them. Opaque objects allow no light to pass through.

On a fly, if you get pearlescent polishes or paints I would think that "translucent" and "polish with a layer of clear UV over it" would give similar effects

Mike. Maybe i have used the wrong term. English isn't my first language. I want to be able to still see through the resin after colouring. Similar to the resin in this picture

http://www.orvis.com/orvis_assets/prodimg/1X1XSF10.jpg