Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bullhead

Foam and hooks

Hi all, I have some 2mm craft foam and want to try tieing hopper patterns. what do you suggest for the foam width for different hooks? Am I correct to size with the hook gape?

Am I correct to size with the hook gape?

yes

the hook give you sizes for all body proportions

There can always be a range, and won't be the same necessarily for different hook styles in the same sizes, but what Norm said is a good place to start. smile.png

Here's a couple of pictures of a hopper I tied up back in the spring. I had found some preformed legs when I was cleaning up my tying materials. The hook I believe is a size 6 round bend, wide gape hook. In the second picture for reference the coin is a dime.

post-309-0-91939700-1570905435_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-53061200-1570905457_thumb.jpg

Not the best hopper, I was trying to get the front legs to splay.

Hi all, I have some 2mm craft foam and want to try tieing hopper patterns. what do you suggest for the foam width for different hooks? Am I correct to size with the hook gape?

Some shapes of hook have a poor hooking gap when used with some hooper pattern. Note that the top fly on Philly's post has a wide gap. After you tie a fly, make sure the body of the fly does not narrow the hook gap so as to interfere with effective hooking.

Philly ... those look alive enough to fool Wife, who went, "Eewww" as she looked over my shoulder.

Thanks, Mike. I gave it to niece and her husband. I have no idea if they caught any fish on it. Now I have to find more of the green legs as I want to tie up some for myself over the winter. I have a bunch of the legs in black, so I'll tie up some crickets also.