Fly Tying
DrippingSprings330

Moving from beginner's vise to a rotary vise

I started a couple of years ago using a Cabelas fly tying kit and I tied a bunch of hard foam TCS popping bugs.

I am now tying balsa, cork, and sheet foam popping bugs and I want to buy a good, not great or as pricey as a small car, rotary vise. I need one that can be sold with a c clamp as I have a pedestal base.

Any recommendations y'all

go to your local fly shop and try each of their demo vises

good rotary vises

regal

hmh

wolf industries

griffin

good true rotary vises

renzetti

nor vise

peak

danvise

griffin

there have been many threads on this forum regarding "fly tying vises". use the search function in the upper right hand corner

heres one thread

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=15165

even more threads

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&andor_type=&sid=6bc443fcad368e6a5363719c6fb3aace&search_app_filters[forums][sortKey]=date&search_app_filters[forums][sortKey]=date&search_term=fly+tying+vise&search_app=forums&st=0

There are rumors that HMH is going to introduce their TRV vise (around $500) which will be a true rotary ala the LAW vise.

Good move, I changed to true rotary over 30 years ago and really enjoy the flexibility.

I have a HMH from the 1970's and occasionally use it for very small simple nymphs.

Regards,
FK

As flytire mentioned above, there are rotary & true rotary vises.

I recommend going with a true rotary - you won't be sorry.

My Peak vise (true rotary) is outstanding & affordable.

I also bought the mini & large hook jaws to go with it.

Griffin Odyssey Spider vise, cam version.

A little over $100. I am pleased with mine, so far.

vise.jpg

Griffin Odyssey Spider vise, cam version.

A little over $100. I am pleased with mine, so far.

attachicon.gifvise.jpg

I'm no pro but I'm using the same vise and it has been just great so far.

I like the regal line for ease of use and speed. I had the stainless and tied thousands of flies with it. I jumped up to the revolution this year and absolutely love it. I got into tying big musky flies and baitfish patterns and such. I like the counter weight. I think they are about the best quality of anything I have ever tied on. I use a fly stones base with mine and it truly is my dream vise. I like the lever system for speed. I tie every night just about, and tie a lot of flies. I like to just give it a squeeze and switch. Now the revolution is about the price of a cheap beater car, but it is worth the money, if you tie every day or nearly. IF maybe a few flies a week I would suggest the Regal Stainless.

You might also look at Dyna-King. A made in USA family owned compay for the past 30 years. I own the Barracuda Deluxe.

A lot of great vise's out there. You get what you pay for IMO.

post-61610-0-84010100-1497495624_thumb.jpg

This is just passing along my observations over many years and different tyers.

The most important feature of any vise is hook holding ability and access to the hook while tying.

A great (I consider it a must) feature is the ability to rotate the fly to inspect the far side of the fly - note: this equates to a rotary vise, but not necessarially a true rotary.

I have seen many people spend lots of money on true rotary vises and then never actually use the rotary feature (to pay material onto the fly while rotating the hook). None of these people have ever admitted to me that the true rotary feature added un-necessary cost to the vise for a minimal gain in functionality. I suspect that many people spend the extra money for these vises because they have the means and care to show off.

Not to put a damper on the thread but What is a beginner vice anyway ? An experienced tyer can tie with a pair of vice grips clamped into a bench vise, if not use the bench vise directly. My India made vise has never inhibited me from tying any fly I wanted to tie actually. It's why I can't make up a large enough excuse to spend more money on a vise, and I think they actually make them better these days than they did mine. And charge less money besides. I've tied on much nicer vises and that's great till it comes time to open my wallet, knowing the flies will look exactly the same as they do now regardless of which vise I tie them on pretty much leaves my wallet in my pocket..