Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
David 82nd

Hook storage

Getting tired of just leaving hooks in packages, I'm ready to get organized, I'm sure there are all kinds of suggestions for this , I'm thinking a large clear box/ w dividers, neatly labeled by size and hook type , would like to see some pictures of you're organizing? Get some inspiration..thanks guys

David I'm working on that project as we speak. I use 53mm watchmaker's cases (light aluminum with a plastic front). They are about .50 apeice. Now I am making a drawer that they can be stacked in. I can post pictures when its done in about 2 - 3 weeks. I did not like the clear box with removable dividers as hooks always seemed to get under the dividers and mixed up

When you start to assemble a vast array of different hook styles, manufacturers, and sizes you will see that boxes waste space, slow down ready access, and require labeling etc that is a huge waste of time -- unless, that is, you are into 'organizing'the contents of the refrigerator by shape and color. The durable plastic boxes also are expensive and the cheap ones are prone to going brittle over time.

Plastic bags allow you to sequester types of hook with others of the same size and then fit efficiently into a larger, collapsible, plastic bag.

Rocco

Hooks used to come in nice neat little boxes, so that's what I use, for the most part. These past few years (maybe 10 years?) the trend has been to put them in plastic/vinyl pouches. If this is what you have the most of, that is a problem, but I don't have a solution for it. I need to keep the hooks with their labels as to size and type, as I have thousands of hooks in dozens of styles and sizes.

I do have a little 12 compartment box I got at Bass Pro Shop that I use when I do demonstration tying. I put a few hooks, mostly 12's and 14's, and a couple of styles in it, but that's for convenience and accessiblility. I couldn't recommend it as a storage option.

No pictures at the present, but I bought small, plastic containers from Dollar Tree. Each one would just hold a stack of about 15 quarters.

I take the size info from the package and tape it to the container, then put the hooks in there.

But ... I only have about 10 different hook types/sizes.

When I organize it's to reduce the footprint my stuff occupies. I threw away all my great hook organizers that did nothing more than take up more space and returned full circle to the packaging they come in. I keep them lined up like ducks in a row in a small wood box much like how you would store your baseball cards. Easy, accessible and takes a minimal space. I do have one hook box that has about 20 compartments. I inherited this box full of hooks with none of the original packaging. When I use all the hooks out of it which maybe never, I'm chucking it as well.

I don't have a ton of hooks. But I do like to keep them in their bags. I have a rectangular bin with 3 compartments. 1 for 4+ one for 6-10 and one for 12 and under. There's probably a dozen or so bags in each compartment. I don't waste an excessive amount of time looking for what I need.

I use these.... get them from Stockard. Great for organizing. I write the hook style and size on the lid over each compartment with a sharpie.

1849.Jpg

2025-251.jpg

i use 6 of these bead storage containers for most of my hooks

i use the plastic shoe box for my streamer hooks which i keep in the original packaging

Over the years, I have amassed many different styles of hooks (obviously in differing sizes). I have resorted to storing in plano type fly boxes for my home tying station - these boxes get labels and pretty much each style has it's own box in a large drawer next to my tying station. For my travelling hooks I am more careful to make sure the hooks can't migrate from one compartment to another - many of the travelling hooks stay in their original packages (which I buy by the 100s).

Great points guys , thanks for sharing , I've got a few " Plano clear boxes /w dividers , I think I'll silicon the bottom of dividers to prevent those " moving dividers " and get a sharpie and see how it works ? I guess it's me I just hate having " packets of hooks floating all over lol. We'll see how it goes

What ever method you use be careful you don't drop or accidently knock the box off your tying area, I had a plastic box with 24 compartments in it, I had wet hooks, dry hooks, and nymph hooks. I had hook sizes 10 thru 24 all I can say is to took me forever to separate the kind of hooks and all the different sizes. I am working on a different method of storing the hooks, once was enough for me.

My favorite is Craftmate boxes (Joann's or Michaels; use the weekly 40% off coupon). It has a push button release so that you open only 1 compartment at a time to prevent dumping the whole box or 1/2 box (which if you've ever done, you'll never want to do again.) The dividers are fixed in place, so no migration. They have a mix of sizes and carriers.

Thanks, Bob H

Glue a magnet in the bottom of each compartment. Even if you drop it, most of the hooks will stay in place.

I love these thin boxes with magnetic compartments. They're great for smaller hooks, but for steelhead and saltwater hooks I just keep them in the bags or boxes they came in since I don't have very many different styles or sizes.

post-61269-0-01491600-1498844842_thumb.jpg