Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
JockeH

Drying small feathers

I got a shopping bag full of feathers from my friend who is a hunter. After i washed them i got thinkin how shoulld i dry and sort them. This is what i came up with.

I put all feathers in a bucket and took a hairdryer and started drying them, when a feather was dry it automaticly "fly" out of the bucket. So i sat down on the floor and sorted all feather afterwards.

/Joakim H

Great idea, I think I would of swept them up and put them on a table, then sorted. I am to lazy to sit on the floor. Got me thinking now, that a screen over the bucket would save us bowth a hassle.

I use a square cardboard box. i glue the flaps down on the inside bottom, remove a pair of flaps from the top, cut a square flap out for inserting and removing materials, cut a circle hole to fit blow dryer nozzle, and tape most of the open edges closed to trap as much air as possible, but allowing for circulation. I cover the flap with a book or what ever is available.

-k

I use speed 1 on the hairdryer so the feathers didn't fly so long just about maximum 1 meter from the bucket.

I didn't have any table with enough free space so my only options was to clean a table or use the floor, i chosed the later one B)

/Jocke

When I dry feathers I use a mesh dryer bag and put the feathers in it and throw it in the clothes dryer. Check on them a couple of times when they are dry just unzip the bag and sort them out.

I used a vaccum cleaner bag once...had to punch a jillion little holes in it with a bodkin to allow for circulation but the opening fit over the hair dryer just fine. I kept the dryer on low and shook the bag as the material dried...worked just fine.

Sign in to follow this