Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Scouting for Trout Fishing Towns in the Southeast

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 12:10 AM

I'll be taking a few road trips this summer to explore the South a bit and also to scout for future trout fishing destinations.  I'm hoping to find some beautiful places I can wade fish for trout and enjoy the tranquility of fly fishing in a trout stream, hopefully (but not necessarily) from a town I can take my non-fishing family to and have them enjoy as well.  I've already marked Townsend, Tennessee on my map.  Any other towns in the Southeast that people might recommend?

Much thanks in advance.

cb27

"Fly tying is replete with unproven theories and contradictions and therein lies much of it's charm and fascination." George F. Grant, The Master Fly Weaver

#2 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 02:09 AM

I've got a buddy in Nashville who fly fishes a bit I could ask him if you'd like.

#3 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 06:27 AM

Not sure what you call the southeast, but north Arkansas has had a couple world record trout out of the White River. 

https://www.agfc.com...out-tailwaters/

SWMo. has several trout destinations- https://huntfish.mdc...ish/trout-areas

Nearest me is Beaver tail water in Ar. and Roaring River State Park in Mo. a little farther away is Lake Taneycomo at Branson Mo. and Crane Creek at Crane, Mo. (notable for having the last pure strain McCloud River Ca. trout remaining- stocked in the 1880s and naturalized)

#4 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 12:34 PM

Much thanks tjm that's very helpful, and Vicente that would be great. I'm thinking the southeast quarter of the country, basically the old south / Bible belt area.
cb27

"Fly tying is replete with unproven theories and contradictions and therein lies much of it's charm and fascination." George F. Grant, The Master Fly Weaver

#5 xvigauge

xvigauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 03:37 PM

I understand there are trout streams around Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, Tennessee, but they are so crowded and touristy that I rarely go there. There is lots of stuff for kids and non fisher persons to do in those towns, however.

Joe

#6 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,916 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 04:07 PM

Don't limit yourself to trout.  Plenty of BIG Large Mouth Bass in the South.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#7 flyty1

flyty1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 04:26 PM

Although I haven't fished there, I would look into the Asheville NC area near
Mount Mitchell - tallest mountain east of the Mississippi river!

#8 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 07:07 PM

Thanks mc & flyty1

@mc, don't worry, I'll be fly fishing locally, too.
cb27

#9 DarrellP

DarrellP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 09:54 AM

North Georgia also for trout. Sulfur, LA for redfish, Sea Trout. In the winter, Biloxi Marsh for bull redfish.

Trout are mostly Arkansas, TN, NC.
"Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job." John Geirach

#10 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 10:37 AM

If you get to Memphis Tn, visit the Bass Pro shop there, before they moved to the Pyramid the old BP there had the biggest fly-tying shop I've ever seen and when I asked about it, the clerk told me they had the largest fly-tying club in the USA, they all travel to Mountain Home Ar to fish the White.  I don't think there was any material they didn't have in stock.

I haven't been back there since they took over the Pyramid, but that building alone is worth a look and with the space there my guess is there was no down sizing. https://en.wikipedia...Memphis_Pyramid

#11 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 10:44 AM

An article about the new Mo record brown taken at Branson- https://greatamerica...ty-brown-trout/

#12 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 11:49 AM

Thanks again Tjm. Quite a fish story...
cb27

#13 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 03:33 PM

And DarrellP, thanks for the general lay of the land
cb27

#14 troutguy

troutguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 10:03 AM

Nope, no trout in North Carolina or South Carolina. Nothing to see here Yankee. Keep moving.......

https://www.ncpaws.o...shingAreas.aspx

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for the day; Teach a man to tie flies and he'll pick up all the roadkill.

#15 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 08:07 PM

Thanks troutguy, much appreciated.
cb27