Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

How do I fix my 8 wt rod?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 TIER

TIER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 01:06 PM

Since the OP never wrote that the rod was an Echo, how do you know?

You must know the OP? I'm just curious.

TIER has only been a member since May.  We ran through a thread he started when he was looking to buy an 8 weight rod.

2 + 2 = This is probably the rod that ended that thread.

I had my 8wt BEFORE I joined. Heck, I bought it last summer!

#17 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

When I grow up, I'm moving to Florida !!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,761 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 01:11 PM

One of the younger new members was asking about his Echo rod he bought. I was thinking that was you, but it may have been the other young guy whom just recently joined who's name escapes me at the moment.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#18 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 03:32 PM

People are trying to help you TIER. Why would you make a thing out of your age and when you bought your rod?

It's near impossible for anyone to help you without a picture.

I'm not sure if you really want help or if you just like to post stuff.

People are much more willing to help you if you are receptive to the help they offer.

Try this " No, that wasn't me with the Echo, mine is a "XYZ"

If we knew the brand, we could better direct you. For instance many manufacturers have a lifetime warranty. Since we don't know your brand, we can't help.

Anyway, we are here to help if you want it.

#19 Meeshka

Meeshka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 03:36 PM

Well put Mark

#20 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,575 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 06:06 PM

Oops, wrong kid.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#21 Philly

Philly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 07:04 PM

I don't know the length of the rod you broke.   Just from experience, when you break 6" off of a rod, if you just have to replace the tip, you might not have a 8 wgt rod anymore.  Years ago I built an 8' 5 wgt on a no name blank and broke 6" off at the tip.  Clean break, no crushed parts.  I just replaced the tip.  When I went out to test cast it after the repair.  I couldn't load my 5 wgt line.   Tried my 6 wgt line,  a bit of an improvement.  My 8 wgt line was the only one that I could load and get a decent cast with.  So I had a 7 1/2' 8 wgt.   Wasn't any use to me.  I turned it into a spinning rod that served me well for many years, before I really broke and made it useful for spare parts.

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."

#22 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 07:26 PM

I use a couple rods that have been put back together with a stent and an over wrap. It's pretty possible to repair a break and much better, imo, than just gluing on an oversize tiptop. 

But by far the best repair is to obtain replacement sections from the manufacturer. Even if it's not a warrantee deal I'd inquire into repair parts from the maker. 

#23 dadofmolly

dadofmolly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 09:54 PM

People are trying to help you TIER. Why would you make a thing out of your age and when you bought your rod?

It's near impossible for anyone to help you without a picture.

I'm not sure if you really want help or if you just like to post stuff.

People are much more willing to help you if you are receptive to the help they offer.

Try this " No, that wasn't me with the Echo, mine is a "XYZ"

If we knew the brand, we could better direct you. For instance many manufacturers have a lifetime warranty. Since we don't know your brand, we can't help.

Anyway, we are here to help if you want it.

Mark, Very well said.

I use a couple rods that have been put back together with a stent and an over wrap. It's pretty possible to repair a break and much better, imo, than just gluing on an oversize tiptop. 

But by far the best repair is to obtain replacement sections from the manufacturer. Even if it's not a warrantee deal I'd inquire into repair parts from the maker. 

I've used the "stent" repair on several rods that were brought to me, both when just the tip was broken and when the middle section (3 pc rod) was snapped.  I've even used it on a "crushed" rod when only a small (no more than an 1") was crushed.  I don't think it alters the rod much if it is just the tip section, middle section gives a little different action IMO..

Sometimes I need expert advice which is why I talk to myself.

#24 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 11:38 AM

TIER, a "stent" repair is when you take a small section of another broken rod that is just small enough to slide inside the rod to be repaired. I save broken rods for this purpose. Glue the short section inside and then wrap the rod on both sides of the break, then varnish. I'm fishing an eight weight Sage that I repaired in this way.

#25 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 09:48 PM

At/near  the tip it may be too small inside for a piece of another rod, a piece of music wire can be used in the right size.

#26 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 11:55 AM

At/near  the tip it may be too small inside for a piece of another rod, a piece of music wire can be used in the right size.

+1

#27 TIER

TIER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 01:30 PM

Okay, it's a crosswater.

#28 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 03:37 PM

Crosswater is the line Reddington is the maker right? Give reddington a call, it's a fairly cheap rod I think backcountry/steep and cheap gas the older one on sale for 55$ right now.

#29 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 01:48 PM

Okay, it's a crosswater.

Ya that's a Redington, they're a decent company. Here is a link to  their website, in the lower right corner of the page is a tab that says "Leave Us a Message": http://www.redington.com/

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"