Fly Tying
flytire

Marlo Dipietro Vises

Couldn't find a price list on the site. Is that one of those cases of "If you have to ask you can't afford it"? They are things of beauty though.

At the bottom of the "about me" tab, you see this ...

"Feel free to contact me and ask me anything. I enjoy talking about them. Prices range from 2,500 to 15,000. Pay Pal accepted."

Thanks for posting flytire! Not really shore what to say? Everyone should have a look at that site, never knew one manufacture could have that many different models? Some even look really nice! Just trying to imagine what kind of person would own one? Probably some millionare big jobbie has one sitting on his desk he sits behind in his office & goes fishing once a year using bought flies?:-)

Not quite sure what to make of those. While I can see the craftsmanship in their making, they are totally not my style. I'm much more of a form following function fan. They are ornate to the ridiculous. It may appeal to some, in the same way the overly ornate cane rods with engraved furrels do; not my taste at all.

To me a leaver's length should should proportional to the force that is to be applied through it. That sets up a proportionality in design that, to my eye is lacking in those. Putting too long a lever on the locking mechanism for a joint, invites excessive force be applied to the joint. This can damage the joint. Something that is a very unappealing prospect. They look "heavy" in parts more than chunky.

On numbers 16 and 18 the leaver for operating the jaw is detachable. Necessary as it is oversized and would be in the way while tying. What do you do with it when it is detached? I would either loose it on my desk or drop it on the floor.

Mike is about right saying you would need more money than sense to buy one of these. However, I have to point out that if you designed yourself a vice, and went to a machinist to produce it as a one off, then to an engraver for the engraving, you would be in the same ball park. There probably is a market for this kind of thing. These though, for me need a lot of refinement. even then I have no prospects of ever being able to afford them.

Cheers,

C.

there are so many different material working skills here, i've lost count. machining, casting, engraving.....

totally Steampunk art pieces. yes they could be used as working tools, but would be better suited displayed under pot lighting or on a display shelf.

as with any art piece, only the artist will know it's true worth, which is supported by the buyer. as a fly tyer, if i had the $$$$$ to spend on art, i'd be all over these.

Couldn't find a price list on the site. Is that one of those cases of "If you have to ask you can't afford it"? They are things of beauty though.

Yes its kind a like when you got to a 5 star restaurant and the menu doesn't have the prices listed, I have only been fortunate enough to experience a place like that once in my life. I'll just keep using my HMH and Regal vises.

Excellent craftsmanship but those prices you can get a really nice vise and a whole lot of materials

Yea and for the price of a Purdy or Holland & Holland you can buy fifty good shotguns and a lot of ammo. It's not one or the other, it's if you want it as a one piece creation of functional art and can afford it, you buy it.

The guy is a craftsman and an artist and that's what you are paying for. If you just want functional, go out and by a Browning and dream about the Purdy.

price is totally irrelevant to someone who appreciates fine craftsmanship and works of art

if you have to ask the price, you cant afford it :)

these are not for everybody but who cares. why not just enjoy