Fly Tying
eide

August flies from the vise

2015.08.01.dryfly.me_.gh_pb_partridge_si

2015.08.01.dryfly.me_.gh_pb_partridge_do

2015.08.01.dryfly.me_.gh_pb_kamasan_doub

August already! Starting off with some green highlanders on different hooks: Partridge Up-Eye Single #6, Partridge Patriot #8, Kamasan B280 #10,

One of the first that I didn't strip immediately. Size 14 hot spot spider. How can I make it better? Hackle length, body length, hot spot placement and size?

WP_20150804_003_zpscjb9ieeq.jpg

One of the first that I didn't strip immediately. Size 14 hot spot spider. How can I make it better? Hackle length, body length, hot spot placement and size?

WP_20150804_003_zpscjb9ieeq.jpg

Looks fine to me, however I would half the amount of hackle (less is more), shorten the body to reach only back to the hook point, Make the spot half as wide and finally minimizing the head quite a lot.

But a nice fly..

And when halving and minimizing amounts, please remember, that it only take one turn to hold a material and one turn to secure the holding... So each material can be tied in with two turns.... A good mind set is to think that the tying thread is the most expensive material, and that you have to give away one of your children/pets/love ones to the bait fishers for every mile of thread you use more than needed ;-) :-P

/Henrik

Looks fine to me, however I would half the amount of hackle (less is more), shorten the body to reach only back to the hook point, Make the spot half as wide and finally minimizing the head quite a lot.

But a nice fly..

And when halving and minimizing amounts, please remember, that it only take one turn to hold a material and one turn to secure the holding... So each material can be tied in with two turns.... A good mind set is to think that the tying thread is the most expensive material, and that you have to give away one of your children/pets/love ones to the bait fishers for every mile of thread you use more than needed ;-) :-P

/Henrik

Thanks for the feedback. I've always had trouble with less is more but stripped the fly and did another try. Here is the end result.

WP_20150804_005_zpswwrwvf06.jpg

I went to my local fly shop last night and they had some of the supplies from flytyersdungeon and I decided to buy a couple things and try them out before I made a full order. Have to say that I am impressed with the congo hair, northern lights flash, and k.r.a.p. dubbing. Here are a couple of the flies I whipped up last night.

post-54693-0-46102800-1438773415_thumb.jpg

post-54693-0-93058200-1438773445_thumb.jpg

post-54693-0-68495300-1438773464_thumb.jpg

post-54693-0-74178600-1438773477_thumb.jpg