Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
cjsnyder1234

Got some old fishing hooks/reels

The other day I got handed down a bunch of old fishing lures hooks and a couple of reels I'll add more pictures when I get home but these hooks caught my eye the most.

post-52500-0-18625300-1440888711_thumb.jpg

Man, that brings back some memories. I had a Pflueger reel just like that and the guy that bought me my first rod had an automatic reel. I got my deerhair from Herter's...those hooks probably would have been out of my price range. Cheers, Ed

Holey cow!!! is that a pair of 1492s? You should feel guilty and share at least one of them. I can help you out there.

can we see the side of the Shakespeare when you get more pix?

I really love old reels and lures. I've got some I might take pix of too, now that you've stimulated me.

Only one 1492 just took 2 pictures because it is epic. Was my stepdads fathers. and yes ill get more pictures of the automatic.

Your 1492 is probably between 1959 and 1966. That is a nice fishing reel for 3 or 4 weight lines. Very classic.

Thanks also got a few rapalas and some other old lures still in original boxes with paper work that has not been touched. Going to make a shadow box and display them in my tying room

Wow that's cool!

I can almost smell how old they are from your pictures?

Put them somewhere special and be sure to forward them to the right person in the future.

Cool stuff cj. The 1492 was and is a great reel but for those like me who only use left hand it was a lot of work to convert it. YES, it can be done but involves drilling some new holes both outside and inside. I know...I did back in 1964 or so to a couple of them. Bought 'em back then at yard sales for $5 and later all my tackle was stolen in about 1972.

The old automatic people laugh at today is something I've thought about dusting off and using in the boat bass fishing again. Doesn't make a lot of sense to have line laying all over the boat. Bass don't run enough to make it worth playing off the reel for the most part and the auto can pick up line a whole faster than a Hardy Perfect can. Mine stolen was also a Shakespeare but I still have an old Garcia automatic that wasn't with the main tackle supply.