Fly Tying
Bimini15

How many spools of thread do you own?

I was trying to reorganize my tying area, and I found the thread box. Mind you that I got 95% of my tying supplies 10+ years ago and that I only keep handy what I need for whatever I am tying, which, in thread, means flat waxed nylon and mono thread.

Opened the box to rediscover all these spools I forgot I had. Big fly, 2x, stretchy, kevlar, 3/0, 6/0, ...

Turns out I have over 30 spools of thread, which to me is an obscene number.

So I wonder if this is normal fly tier behavior or if I need to seek professional help.

I don't know, but I'd guess I have close to 100. I have several colors, that I got tired of running out of, in boxes of 12. Plus years of accumulation.

I've got two, maybe three spools of "fly tying" thread. I've got a few dozen spools of sewing thread, which is what I use on 95% of my flies.

I have 24 and it seem I still never have the right color for the pattern I try to tie .

Steve-stabgnid

Ive got maybe 40 on hand right now but need to order some smaller stuff. I tie salt and fresh water and trout flies so it compounds what I need lol

Gee Steve, I thought I was the spool whore... I have so many on my wall I don't want to count, but I am sure it is less than 1/3 of those numbers. How the .... Do you keep track of that many???

I'm sure I'm well over a hundred and I have a lot more than I need. I'm really going to try to use up a lot of the thread that I have and get down to lots of spare junk when needed, otherwise I'll be tying virtually everything from 12s to 20s with 8/0 Veesus in white and just magic marker color the last wraps on the head with whatever it calls for before cement. Exceptions to this which use the thread as part of the tie. For this I have a nice mixture of Pearsall's silk thread and floss for this. Lots of words out there on how silk takes on different colors in the water than rayon or nylon.

53 spools of thread in differen't colours & sizes, then there is lead wires, copper wires, silks, yarns, tinsels, vinyl ribs, mylars, easydubs & 3 mono! 117 spools altogeather, maybe a few more hiding somewhere?

Thanks for the replies.

Ok. I did not count tinsels, lead and ribbing spools, or my ONE spool of rod wrapping thread. But it still sounds like I do not need to seek professional help.

Some of you, on the other hand... I really worry about you now... :)

Maybe 30 - 35 boxes of tying threads (some with the full 12 spools, many with less....). I try to keep a full color selection on both flat-waxed nylon and 3/0 monocord - of the colors I need. I've done my best to cut down on rod building threads (but still do have a few 4oz. spools of the long out of business Holland thread in four colors)... For rodbuilding I'm still using mostly Gudebrod stuff - but it's discontinued as well. My guess is that I'll be "discontinued" long before I run out....

Gee Steve, I thought I was the spool whore... I have so many on my wall I don't want to count, but I am sure it is less than 1/3 of those numbers. How the .... Do you keep track of that many???

Todd I keep them in parts organizers that would normally be used to hold bolts/nuts/screws etc etc. I like to keep all shades of each color in its own bin. That way when I have a customer that wants a certain blue color wrap I can just go to the bin of blue threads and find that shade. This is one of about three containers I keep my threads in. The other ones are the same but one holds my metallic threads and the other holds my NCP and Classic twist threads. Makes life a lot easier when searching for a color.

thread_zpstfiwvnx2.jpg