Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dadofmolly

Tree (Trout, Bass, Sunfish, Bluegill, etc.)

Since I catch a lot of tree trout, have a couple of devices that helps retrieve the fly (and/or flies left by others). Small enough to carry in a pocket or vest and easy to use. Works if fly is still attached to the tippet or if the tippet has been broken. I'm sure there are others out there besides what I have pictured.

post-34554-0-91100000-1556652520_thumb.jpg

I like this little device if the fly is hanging from a tippet so that you can catch the fly by the magnet and cutter. Doesn't work if the fly is wrapped up against the branch.

post-34554-0-96061400-1556652730_thumb.jpg

Another device for tree trout (bass, sunfish, etc.) I don't much care for it as the little metal point that fits into the tiptop comes out really easy and it there is very much foliage then it gets knocked out too often. The advantage over the catch-a-lure is that it allows you to pull the branch down to where you can release your fly.

post-34554-0-87086000-1556652972_thumb.jpg

I copied this off a similar commercial item, which I prefer, even if the fly is dangling. Repurposed the hook part from an old bungee cord, a piece of broken rod that has one end plugged, used super glue and heavy thread to join the rod piece to the hook and added a cord bout 3 feet longer than my longest fly rod. The contraption will stay on the rod until you have positioned it on the branch and removed the rod.

There is another device that has racheting blades that will cut the branch if it is not too big, but I have not tried it so unsure how it really works in use.

If I can reach it with my fly rod tip, I just pull the line through until the hook is at the tip and try to retrieve it. If that doesn't work or I can't reach it, it's much easier to just tie a few extra flies.

None of my flies are that hard to tie, nor do they use expensive materials. As Flicted said, if I can reach it, I go after it. If I can't, I usually snap it off.

That said, ALL of my conventional gear has braided "super line" on them. I can almost pull a tree out by the roots if I get a high dollar lure stuck up there. Since I usually have ONE of those rods on the boat, so I have been known to use it to pull a branch to hand to get a fly back.

What a throw away society we have become, myself included when it comes to flies. I have plenty and plenty more that can be assembled when needed. I won't wade deeper or go out of my way to get to them, I won't do anything more then pull straight on the line to get it out and I don't mind retying. I go wading with as little gear and apparatus as humanly possible so carrying something to get flies out of trees is not for me.

I do what Mike does. I find the branch and follow it to the tree and then pull the branch down to retrieve the fly. Most of the "trees" along our streams are willows and the branches are easily bent down.

34884725484_f76bb3401c_z.jpg

35686201926_379577889c_z.jpg

]35594731351_1dddc040b4_z.jpg

I try not to get too attached to any fly - that's why I like simple "impressionistic" ties. If I lose one it's an offering to the fish spirts; especially if it would involve wading into the water I am trying to fish.

Though when fly-fishing from a kayak I have used my "assault paddle" (Backwater Paddles) to get in close and then retrieve a lot of stuck flies out of sweeps and bushes.

Backwater_Paddles_Assault_Hand_Paddles__

I carry a small thermometer with me when I fish. I have a cord (about 8 ft. long) attached to to it so I can put it further out into a stream for more accurate water temperature. On the other end of the cord is a large (but not outrageous) stainless steel nut. When a fly gets caught I use the weighted end of the string to throw over the branch and pull it down.