Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
MuskyFlyGuy

Musky Fly Swap 2018

Sorry for the pictures. They are rightside up when I bring them in, but magically transform themselves. Sort of like the big fish that hits your fly and becomes smaller as you get it closer to landing. Last fall, I was working on a prototype of a fly and caught this:

post-35105-0-96573200-1517161170_thumb.jpg

The fly that was this:

post-35105-0-51390800-1517161223_thumb.jpg

Became this:

post-35105-0-97430800-1517161278_thumb.jpg

The swap is open to four people (if more are interested, I will open a second swap) All flies are due to me by March 15th with attached toe tags. Be sure to include a SASE with your flies. If Eastern Fly, Crackleback, Decisions, Flat Rock native, or WVU on the Fly participate, I will also send the fly from last year's swap that arrived after the deadline. Flies should be 4/0 or larger and 7 inches or longer. Please respond with an "I'm in" and the name and size of your fly.

Thanks,

Tom

SM - Black and Orange streamer - 5/0 (pictured above). Completed

1. Eastern Fly - streamer - received

2. Flat Rock Native - Articulated streamer - received

3. Crackleback - Articulated streamer - received

4. Andrew - streamer - received

Swap is fulland completed.

What river ya' fishin' there Tom? Upper Mississippi or over on the WI side like the Chippewa? I've had some great days in the past with musky but only on standard tackle. Couple hooked for awhile on the fly were trying to eat my bluegill or crappie. I have more large and articulated streamers than I'll ever use but what I'm going to do is try to get four flies tied and send them to you but not get in your swap. Mostly because I haven't tied anything bigger than a 14 for quite a while and need a change of pace and exercise my big bug vise for first time in months. Probably go articulated but see what I can find for hooks first. Supposed I'll have to take some of the Spiderweb and 16/0 off a couple of bobbins for this.

Nick,

I caught it on the Nam last fall. It really had an exceptional girth for a river fish. Great rivers in the Hayward area. Thanks for your generous offer. I will get them to the four people, who sign up. I hope, after the swap, that you write down your thoughts and experiences. Your perspective on the transition from 8/0 thread to 4/0 hooks will be beneficial to other tyers. I will send you a PM about next year's Christmas swap.

Tom

Got one little guy at the beginning of October. The only boats allowed on the local lake are ones you rent. They put them away real early this year so my season was a little shorter than I would of liked. They start again in March so I got about a month to go.

Been on a real dyeing kick this winter so expect some odd colored buck tail on my flies.

Got one little guy at the beginning of October. The only boats allowed on the local lake are ones you rent. They put them away real early this year so my season was a little shorter than I would of liked. They start again in March so I got about a month to go.

Been on a real dyeing kick this winter so expect some odd colored buck tail on my flies.

Mike what's your dying formula and steps? I have some bucktail I want to do.

Kevin

Ive been using Jacquard acid dye. I more or less follow their directions on the jar. Ive rarely dyed anything until this year. I shot a deer with crazy good belly hair. Since I was already dyeing squares of that I got a bunch of white buck tails to dye also.