Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Erie Steelhead Trip - Jan. 2005 - Official Signup

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#31 J. Johnson

J. Johnson

Don't talk to me, I got a good drift!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 08:26 PM

This trip is all about the weather, the fish will be there. Not to many days in the low 40s for Erie in January. But, we always seem to get quick southern warm spell that time of year. We got real lucky last year. Remember the day we left ? All that snow you and Chris drove home in! bugeyes.gif

We may have to play this one on the fly. I donít think well get lucky two years in a row by setting a date.
The word "angling" is the name given to fishing by people who can not fish- Stephen Leacock

#32 Leaky Waders

Leaky Waders

Steve Clark- Mind Freak!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 08:44 PM

This trip is all about the weather

Kevin you hit the nail right on the head, with that statement. huh.gif

Count me in weather permitting.

LW
Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day.

Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

#33 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

I see everything!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,576 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 10:10 PM

Would be cool if it was like last years trip wouldnt kevin, if i remember correct we had a couple days in the mid 50's on that trip and that was jan 1st cool.gif

I'm gonna try like hell to make it and with a little luck might be able to have my new steelie rod i'm building done to bring with me and break in properly on a 10# chromer cool.gif headbang.gif

SD
Posted Image
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#34 SmallieHunter

SmallieHunter

For I am Mullis...Lord of the idiots!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,500 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 10:23 PM

tidbit,

We normally stay in a rented trailer that cost each person around $20 per night and is equipped with stove, fridge and all that good stuff.

A good bet on flies is buggers in various sizes and colors along with small egg patters; sucker spawn, crystal meth and estaz eggs.

I see the doc on Wednesday to see if I have to get some bone fragments removed out of my left ankle so depending on what he says will determine my plans. I also have court dates in middle of Jan so my time that month will be limited.

Hoping for "decent" weather around that time!

test

#35 tidbit

tidbit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 05 December 2004 - 08:55 AM

GREAT,

Thanks for the information.

If work and weather permit I'll tag along. That "ok" with everybody ?

tidbit clapping.gif

#36 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

I see everything!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,576 posts

Posted 05 December 2004 - 12:28 PM

Sure thing tidbit thats fine with me, hopefully the weather will cooperate and everybody will be able to make the trip.
Posted Image
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#37 Lance Kekel

Lance Kekel

Adored by fish feared by women!...no wait a minute, fish adore..I mean, women..feared.......oh forget it!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 05 December 2004 - 11:37 PM

Everything still looks like a go for me to make it up for at least one morning. Weather permitting of course! smile.gif
Lance Kekel

Get me on the water!!

#38 Frank G. Swarner III

Frank G. Swarner III

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 02:51 PM

So far we have the following individuals staying overnight: (Please correct me if this list is innaccurate)

-Fish-N-Chip - I plan on arriving on Friday Jan 7 and leaving Monday Jan 10
-Smallie Hunter
-Steelhead 1975
-McFly
-J. Johnson
-Leaky Waders
-Steeldrifter
-Kingfisher
-Swinks 1966
-Tidbit
-Airhead

Fishinlk may join us for a day.

I can make the reservations at the Thunderbird if that is ok with everybody. I will call to place the reservations Monday 27 (is this too early?) after Christmas if that is ok. Will one trailer be enough to fit everybody comfortably?

Assuming the weather will be ok, how long do each of you plan on staying? I understand Mother Nature will have the final say, I didn't want to wait until the last minute to get everybody on the same page.

Thanks for your help,
Chip
Not all fisherman are liars.........there's just alot of liars who fish.

#39 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

I see everything!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,576 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 03:33 PM

Probably gonna need more than one trailer, my buddy will be coming with me and maybe his son so more than likely 1 tralier wont be enough. I have to get ahold of him and make sure we are going for sure (99.9% sure) but i'll probaby take care of a tralier for ourselves because i might not know how manys coming with me till pretty close till time to go and would hate to cram you guys with 3 or 4 more unexpected guys.

SD
Posted Image
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#40 J. Johnson

J. Johnson

Don't talk to me, I got a good drift!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 05:26 PM

Check on their cancellation policy.
Im only in if the weather is going to be half way decent.
Its got to be freezing or above. I cant stand it when my guides freeze up.
The word "angling" is the name given to fishing by people who can not fish- Stephen Leacock

#41 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

I see everything!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,576 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 06:13 PM

QUOTE (J. Johnson @ Dec 7 2004, 05:26 PM)
Im only in if the weather is going to be half way decent.
Its got to be freezing or above. I cant stand it when my guides freeze up.

Want me to hold your purse while you cast as well Kevin?

tongue.gif tongue.gif
Posted Image
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#42 Leaky Waders

Leaky Waders

Steve Clark- Mind Freak!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 07:02 PM

Hi J.J. laugh.gif

Its got to be freezing or above

Im sure one of the guys going would gladly put an arm around you and keep you warm. laugh.gif
Buddy laugh.gif

LW
Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day.

Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

#43 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

I see everything!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,576 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 07:30 PM

I'm just gonna tell him when he hooks a fish "would you like me to reel that in for you miss" ...damn PA guys rolleyes.gif
Posted Image
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#44 SmallieHunter

SmallieHunter

For I am Mullis...Lord of the idiots!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,500 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 08:07 PM

Chip,

I should know one way or the other tomorrow after I see the doc.

I was surprised to see the trailers were all booked up by the time I called for the last trip. They have two trailers with 3 bedrooms with a total of 5 beds and two couches. So you could fit about 7 but that is pushing it.

If they call for alot of snow and nasty weather I may have to bail out as well, my pickup will never make it in that stuff. blink.gif

test

#45 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

I see everything!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,576 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 08:47 PM

And yet another lady is bailing out tongue.gif

Sissys....Michigan fisherman dont let a little weather get in there way flex.gif right Ralf? wink.gif
Posted Image
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com