Fly Tying
FlatsRoamer

Acklins Island? Anyone Been?

If you have been there and have any experiences, please let me know

Thanks

Yup. spent two weeks there last December. What part are you going to, north or south? Have you made reservations, or are you winging it on the cheap? It takes two days to get there, but only one to return. My thumbnail picture is of an 8 pound tailer I caught there. My partner thought 10 pounds, but I know better.

post-55273-0-17347000-1471287845_thumb.jpg

post-55273-0-19235800-1471287889_thumb.jpg

post-55273-0-75802600-1471287935_thumb.jpg

post-55273-0-07694800-1471288137_thumb.jpg

post-55273-0-03944400-1471288410_thumb.jpg

Those were some BIG wahoo, and a whopper bonefish. Didn't know it took 2 days to get there from MIA, I know you have to stop in Nassau but I don't think that should take up a day. We will be staying at Ivels B and B, so far the cheapest place I found. That is in the center of the island I believe, so the flats around there we will be targeting. Maybe you can PM me and we can get into some greater detail...

Those were some BIG wahoo, and a whopper bonefish. Didn't know it took 2 days to get there from MIA, I know you have to stop in Nassau but I don't think that should take up a day. We will be staying at Ivels B and B, so far the cheapest place I found. That is in the center of the island I believe, so the flats around there we will be targeting. Maybe you can PM me and we can get into some greater detail...

Yes, you understand. There are two planes per week to and from Acklins. You must stay in Nassau the night before you arrive in Acklins. I bring a couple pounds of jerky and dried fruit. Beer is $75/case. If you drink, buy rum or vodka in duty free, and cans of grapefruit juice, which is surprisingly good. Of course you are at a B&B, so it will be fine. The north end is better stocked than Salina Pt, especially after last year’s hurricane. I go to a big empty house, and we have to take everything. We stay in Salina Pt. which is a 25 mile, or 1hr 25 min drive from airport. The road looks like a road to Aleppo. We are the only non-natives there the whole time. Have fun. Just ask if you have more questions. Capt. Fedel Johnson is considered the best bonefish guide up that way. I tried sending you an email but it was returned "undeliverable". Capt. Edward

I just cleared out my PM box, it should be ready now for you to send. Yes I have read about Fedel but he is a bit expensive and this is a pure DIY trip. Oh and I'm 14, I don't drink lol, unless you count Sprite

Also, I had already sent you a PM, you should be able to respond from there smile.png

Sorry, I don't know what a PM is? Please explain. I'm an old guy.

I sent you a message, it's where you see your notifications but right to the left,it's a mailbox and if you click it you should see a message from me.