Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Kolkacreek

Golden pheasant uses

Hello!

Ive been thinking about raising golden pheasants for fly tying purposes. Is there any other part of the bird that is used other than the cape? Thanks.

red-golden-pheasant-video.jpg

being creative, a lot of the feather can be used in fly tying

tippet and crest

tails

breast feathers

etc

If you raise good birds, you'll probably have buyers for the skins/feathers. The size of your operation will determine if you'll be able to actually profit from the sales.

Good luck, and welcome to the site.

The breast or flank feathers are used on the General Practitioner pattern. As flytire mentioned the crest, tippet and tails are commonly used. The hen could be used for soft hackles.

"Official" pattern recipes aside, there is NO feather on each bird that can't be put to good use. Most of the cock feathers are used in a lot of traditional Atlantic Salmon flies; crests, tippets, breast feathers, and the tails.

Hey, I was serious about the hula apparel use. They're paying $20 for the part of the skin OTHER than the crest and neck feathers. (Fly tyers pay $10 or $15 for it.) Also, if you can master the genetics to improve the crests for classic salmon tyers like Whiting improves chicken hackle feathers for trout tyers, well, then you're in the diamond lane. Next all you have to do is come up with some yummy exotic tasting dishes for the meat, and then bingo bango.

Just stuff em with some potato, onion some seasoning pat of butter and wrap 'em in bacon, if you don't like it add more bacon to the next one.

I've bought several and really for more creative ties, every things useful. very colorful feathers. There are other markets as well.

Hey, I was serious about the hula apparel use. They're paying $20 for the part of the skin OTHER than the crest and neck feathers. (Fly tyers pay $10 or $15 for it.) Also, if you can master the genetics to improve the crests for classic salmon tyers like Whiting improves chicken hackle feathers for trout tyers, well, then you're in the diamond lane. Next all you have to do is come up with some yummy exotic tasting dishes for the meat, and then bingo bango.

The tail fibers can be used for wings or wrapped for nymph bodies.

Carrie Stevens used the green body feathers for a streamer she called the Tomahawk.

(Sorry - all the images I was able to find seemed banned and I don't have an example myself).

Noahguide just posted these Lady Amerst streamers in the March 2019 Flies thread. You could do a brown variant.

post-61693-0-85866500-1551977714.jpg

The tail fibers can be used for wings or wrapped for nymph bodies.

Carrie Stevens used the green body feathers for a streamer she called the Tomahawk.

(Sorry - all the images I was able to find seemed banned and I don't have an example myself).

Noahguide just posted these Lady Amerst streamers in the March 2019 Flies thread. You could do a brown variant.

post-61693-0-85866500-1551977714.jpg

Thanks! I will certainly check out the Tomahawk.