Fly Tying

Featured Fly - day5 Pom Pom Fly

With salmon season upon us and the steelhead runs will be full force before we know it I thought it would be appropriate to showcase a unique egg fly. This fly is unique because it is not only a single egg on a hook as it incorporates trailer eggs which I can picture bouncing along with the current giving it a realistic imitation.

Thanks goes out to day5 for supplying our featured fly and if anyone has a fly they would like to share so that it can be used in the future please contact me.

day5 Pom Pom Fly

user posted image

Thanks guys!!! This is absolutly my a#1 fly for salmon and steelhead. I hope you all can enjoy it as much as I have!!!!!!!!! Thanks smallie for featuring my fly this month!!

Great step by step their Day5.Very interesting.Will have to look into givivng it a try.Thanks for sharing this with us.

tt

Hey great looking fly. I'm new at this but I have never seen foam in a tube, all the foam I use floats really well. I need some more help with this fly. where do you get the foam (I need some now! I headed for Alaska next week and would like to tie some of these. Thanks in advance for any help.

That looks awesome! However, being new to the craft, I am not familiar with the yarn in the tube. Is that a special type of yarn? If so, what is it called and where is it available. If not, I'm guessing I can scrounge around and find any tube that will fit the Glo-Bug Yarn I currently use. Any guidance, hints, help would be GREATLY appreciated. As mentioned, I'm a rookie and not afraid to admit it! Thanks!!

The foam that I use is mcfly foam. I pull off a few strands and use a threader to pull it in to eather a peice of 1/4 poly tubing (local hardware) or ink pens. (with out any ink laugh.gif ) There is also a kit or foam applicator kit I think from whapsi with directions on its use. Since I have learned to use mcfly foam I have very little use for yarn.

Thanks BCT and tfk is one of my fav bands tfk Kutlas Progect 86 and so on! Rock on man!!!!

day5,

What is the braided line that you use for this? I'm not familiar with it...is it something that deep sea or musky fisherman use? Just wondering where I get my hands on this material. I bounced you an IM on this as well, great looking tie.....

Awesome looking fly, and the step by step is sweet. It's egg fly time of year and I like reds and oranges for steelhead and blues, purples and chartresuse for brownies. I bet the fish like the look of a double egg as much as I do, thanks for sharing.

Graham