Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

Another big project in the works

Lb2Fzv.jpg
sJTUxJ.jpg

Well as anyone here that really knows me knows, I'm not happy unless I have some sort of hands on project going. So about 10 days ago I started on my newest project. Decided to turn the upstairs into a home theater. Problem is after years and years of being a catch all for stuff, including all the stuff that was dumped up there after both sets of grandparents passed away, it was simply a mess. wall to wall of stuff 5ft high and barely a path to walk down the middle. So I started cleaning it out about 10 days ago. After putting anything of value into storage I was left with the stuff that needed to be thrown away. Ready for this one? I took 163 bags of trash out. Talking 30 & 39g trash bags, down the stairs and out to the curb. Needless to say not only are my legs sore as hell but I have lost 19 lbs in the past 10 days, no joke. That's a lot of cardio lol

So right now doesn't look like much, but finally got it down to a blank canvas. I already have a 56" LED Tv and nice surround sound system down in the rod shop/office that I plan to move up there. Plan to do one of the fiber optic star ceilings. Going to do that myself because to buy the pre-made panels is around $1500, yet I can do it myself for a mere $200. So that's an easy choice there. Then going to paint the whole room a very dark gray and the wall the TV will be on will be black. Ceiling will be black with the fiber optic stars. Found a place that sells really nice theater seats that are very affordable and get almost all good reviews so going to get a few of them along with some side tables and a movie style popcorn machine. then gonna decorate in my favorite type of movie/Tv stuff so probably very "game of Throne/Lord of the Rings/Hobbit" type of decor.

Going to be a long project, thinking it'll take around 6 weeks or there about's because I have about 17 or so rod orders I'm working on at the moment, plus there's a lot of work to be done on the room build.

Anyone here have a home theater? and if so got any advice of what you did that you like or don't like?

Wow, never really had you done as a hoarder type. I know it's not true hoarding but figured you'd not be letting that stuff mount up so long. Great space for a cinema.

Yeah wasn't really by choice though. A lot of that stuff was already there since this house is the house my family had since 1969 so I guess you could say I somewhat "inherited" the mess more than anything lol

I'm tired looking at the pictures. Don't have a home theatre but a friend does. Best feature and a requirement, I believe, in a home theatre is having the seating ramped. Not sure that's the correct terminology for having the closest seats lower and each row thereafter a step higher then the previous. And a popcorn machine.

No home theater here ... but I like the idea. I like the idea of decor featuring favorite shows ... and your picks of favorite shows!

I've thought about doing a fiber optic ceiling ... but to make it look good would take hundreds of fibers, maybe 1000+. No? Good luck with THAT part of the build!

I'm looking forward to the progression as you work on it.

I can see it now. Neighbors standing near your house, yelling at you to "Turn that damn thing down!!" while shingle grit falls in their eyes!

I've thought about doing a fiber optic ceiling ... but to make it look good would take hundreds of fibers, maybe 1000+. No? Good luck with THAT part of the build!

I actually thought that exact same things as well Mike, but it's much less that all the places that make them suggest. When looking at how many per sq ft is suggested by the manufactures they suggest 8 "stars" per square foot to get the most realistic look of the sky. The area I am doing is 40sq so I plan on buying the 430pc fiber kit which will give me just over 10 per sq. So it should work out pretty well. Still, even that amount is gonna take probably 20-30 hrs of drilling tiny holes and threading them through blink.png

I actually thought that exact same things as well Mike, but it's much less that all the places that make them suggest. When looking at how many per sq ft is suggested by the manufactures they suggest 8 "stars" per square foot to get the most realistic look of the sky. The area I am doing is 40sq so I plan on buying the 430pc fiber kit which will give me just over 10 per sq. So it should work out pretty well. Still, even that amount is gonna take probably 20-30 hrs of drilling tiny holes and threading them through blink.png

Can you not use some of that predrilled board that shops used to hang wall racks on. Mount that to the ceiling and would be a chance to sound proof the 'roof' side so the sound doesnt echo from the ceiling.

The predrilled board (pegboard) has too big of holes. Fiber optic filament is only about 3/32" and the hole in pegboard are much bigger. It won't be too hard to do mine, just time consuming. The tiles I have are the fiber board tiles that are actually the same type of material the inside of acoustic sound deadening board are made out of (it's like a dense cardboard fiber board) so it actually will work really well for acoustics once I get it done. Will just have to make it a few day job so I don't lose my mind drilling holes and threading fiber optics all at once is all.

Yeah pegboard is the stuff, lawn mowing and painting are what I think await me if I ever ended up in hell. Its something about the monotonous nature of it and the fact it is never done. At least with the holes you see the end to it. Make sure you've plenty of batteries charged ready to switch over

Scored one hell of a good deal today. I was planning on getting a couple matching theater style chairs, but the real good ones are just ridiculously priced, there's no way I'm paying $500 or more per chair. I had found some lower cost ones for $115 each but after looking at them in pics they just seem quite small and really not put together very well (arms were thin wood structure). So I've been perusing facebook market place for the past week looking at nicer comfy recliners. Only problem with that is I am incredibly OCD and when you find a used recliner the chances of finding another one just like it used are slim to none, and having two chairs that don't match would drive me insane.

So I saw these two on there a couple days ago, they wanted $160 for both which is a good bargain, but I was still up in the air just because I was thinking I would like black seats. Then today after asking the seller the condition of them the seller messaged me and said they are in great shape, and they were tired of other people saying they would come look at them so if I wanted them and could come today they would take $100 for the pair of them. So I went and looked and they are in perfect condition, work great, and extremely comfortable so I brought them home.

pRbky4.jpg