Fly Tying
eborraga

New Clousers

So I tried to take the advice of a few from the previous thread. Here is tonight's effort's. Critique away

post-63727-0-67924600-1540522777_thumb.jpg

post-63727-0-54040900-1540522807_thumb.jpg

post-63727-0-94024000-1540522827_thumb.jpg

post-63727-0-31895100-1540522838_thumb.jpg

the first fly has the colors reversed. colors should be like all of the others

otherwise go out and fish them

1st one colors are reversed and way over dressed. Also not a fan of maribuo on clousers. Some are a tad long for my liking. The last picture, right side, middle fly looks great. For perfect eyes use the back end of drill bits to dab on perfect circles. Use a smaller diameter for pupils. I would fish them all though without a care or concern on how they looked.

Much better. Still need to shorten the wraps on the bottom(white) hair. The shorter wraps add to the movement of the fly. They'll catch fish.

When I look at Clouser's video, I was struck by the fact that the shank from dumbbells to bend is almost naked bare, And as Chugbug mentioned the head is only wrapped about half way from the hook eye to the dumbbell-this lets the hair angle up over the dumbbell in what looks more natural profile and also uses less thread and time on the head. This picture from feather-craft.com doesn't show the almost bare shank but does show a nice head-the contrast between the red hair and white thread shows how little head is wrapped. It also seems that Clouser uses a shorter hook, that may be just how far back he/you ties the white material down, but his appear freer between the dumbbell and the flare. I have caught fish on worse looking flies, so ma sure those will work. g'luck

480x480-84781.Jpg

I watched Clouser tie a couple weeks ago at an expo. There are a lot of subtle things he does. He leaves his flash about 1/4 to 1/2 inch past the wings. Your flies will fish. I recommend his videos. He has thought out a bunch of little things that are not easily picked up. Every step is thought out.

Keep tying and you'll get better and better. But, remember, even the worse tied flies will catch fish. I don't mean they're terrible. Imperfect flies will catch fish, too. Fish 'em and you'll see for yourself.

I realize this thread is well over a year old, but I'm new to the forum and noticed the subject.  The Clouser Deep Minnow is dear to my heart.  Bob Clouser showed me how to tie it on three occasions in the 80s and 90s. Given the appropriate size and color, it will catch any fish.  This fly is not complicated, but its tying is precise.  Clouser and Lefty Kreh spent at least two years developing it.  The photos the OP shows several flaws.  The hook is a little long.  I use a standard length or 1XL hook.  The Mustad 3366 is what Clouser uses in a cadmium hook, but it is a Mustad Classic not Signature and needs to be sharpened.  I tie all my Clouser Deep Minnows on stainless steel hooks, even sizes #6 and #8.  Mustad Signature 71S SS is my go-to hook, but TMC, Dai-Ichi have similar hooks but are more expensive.  Circle hooks?  Yep, they work for the Clouser Deep Minnow, but the angler must let the fish hook itself.  Otherwise, if the angler strikes the fish before he or she feels the weight of the fish moving away, the hook will pull out of the fish's mouth.  To continue the critique, the first photo has the colors reversed as mentioned elsewhere in this thread.  The rule of thumb is the belly must be lighter than the back.  In this case the belly must be white and the back chartreuse.  The same is true with an olive back and white belly.  Multi-color backs follow the same graduation from darker to lighter shades to the belly.  There should be a slight ramp between the front of the barbell eyes and the hook eye.  Bob Clouser explained this would enhance the profile of the fly.  The barbell eyes should be mounted behind a thread bump, which is tied one-third distance from the hook eye. Lastly, the fly should be tied more sparsely.  A half diameter of a No. 2 pencil is a good start for the belly.  The length of the back can be slightly thicker than the belly, but it should not be longer than the belly.  

On 10/26/2018 at 7:07 AM, flytire said:

the first fly has the colors reversed. colors should be like all of the others

otherwise go out and fish them

I like to tie about 1 out of every 6 to 10 flies with the colors reversed.  I find that when the fish a "in a mood" the upside down fly gets the hit!   I think it's because they think it's a wounded minnow.  I especially like to tie Thundercreek's upside down.

On 10/25/2018 at 11:00 PM, eborraga said:

So I tried to take the advice of a few from the previous thread. Here is tonight's effort's. Critique away

post-63727-0-67924600-1540522777_thumb.jpg

post-63727-0-54040900-1540522807_thumb.jpg

post-63727-0-94024000-1540522827_thumb.jpg

post-63727-0-31895100-1540522838_thumb.jpg

Look at this site for a variation on this pattern - http://www.flyanglersonline.com/.  Type "deep water clones" for the article.  Tight lines!

The hook looks a little too long and there is no profile, i. e., the ramp in front of the barbell eyes.  What hook are you using?  I viewed the instruction by Art Scheck at FAOL.  i don't agree with how he ties it.  You have a video by Bob Clouser in this thread on how to tie the Deep Minnow properly.  Study it.

5 hours ago, WWKimba said:

I like to tie about 1 out of every 6 to 10 flies with the colors reversed.  I find that when the fish a "in a mood" the upside down fly gets the hit!   I think it's because they think it's a wounded minnow.  I especially like to tie Thundercreek's upside down.

Well if that works for you, fine.  But the Clouser Deep Minnow already imitates a wounded minnow.  It's a jig.  Clouser and Kreh worked on getting the dynamics of the fly for a couple of years to achieve the performance.  Whatever color combination I choose, I always try to have the lightest color for the belly, because that is the way fish are colored.

WWKimba, I forgot to add that your latest batch of flies are tied more sparsely, which is a huge improvement.  Keep working on it.  Save the ones you have tied to compare much later after you have tied many more Clousers.