Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Simple Foam Rubber Grasshopper

Foam Grasshopper Foam Rubber Grasshopper Grasshopper

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 fshng84

fshng84

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 09:18 PM

Another simple but effective pattern - Simple Foam Rubber Grasshopper.

8783875_f260.jpg

Used it today and had fun catching a few Bass and Bluegill!

#2 fshng84

fshng84

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 11:52 PM

Good action this evening. Foam Grasshopper seemed to be the go to fishing fly this time! 11 Bass and a Bluegill liked it! Fun stuff! Today's Video.

#3 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,375 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 03:51 PM

Gotta love that last fish ... nice colors, lots of ego!

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#4 Kirk Dietrich

Kirk Dietrich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 04:12 PM

Nice fishies!

Every now and then, I'll make a video, wish I could find time to do more; here is the link:
http://www.youtube.c...et?feature=mhee

I've got a few folders with photos of flies, these get more updates than my videos:
http://s136.photobuc...rofile/kirkdiet

https://picasaweb.go...rich?feat=email

#5 add147

add147

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 11:21 PM

Nice looking fish for Collin County! 

#6 Gramps50

Gramps50

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 10:32 PM

Nice fish, I like fishing those small ponds. In the video it appears that you are standing maybe 10 ft from the water, is there a reason for that?

#7 fshng84

fshng84

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 11:49 PM

Thanks! Standing back because the recent rains has made it really muddy to get closer. Also, helps keep from spooking the fish lurking in the shallows.... used a 

Foam Grasshopper this evening. Started later but ended with seven Bass this time! Today's Video.

#8 fshng84

fshng84

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 11:59 PM

Foam Grasshopper did well again this round... caught several fish... Fun stuff! Today's Video.

#9 fshng84

fshng84

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 11:41 PM

Foam Grasshopper did well today. No bruisers but did get a few action shots!

#10 fshng84

fshng84

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 10:52 PM

Had fun this past weekend on the lake. Past few days, it's been work and more work. However, did get to break away for a quick trip. Fished for about an hour and caught four fish... - a little Sunfish that went for a COAF Guadalupana, a nice sized Bluegill, a Bass, and another Bluegill that went for a Foam Grasshopper!

#11 fshng84

fshng84

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 09:11 PM

Managed to catch a Bluegill and three Bass using a White Foam Grasshopper this evening. Fun stuff! Today's Video. Pattern still works - especially helps when the local pond is starting to get clobbered with "green stuff".

#12 fshng84

fshng84

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 12:27 AM

... fish were going for a Size 16 Foam Grasshopper.

No Bruisers other than a nice sized Sunfish; no worries though, they all put up a good fight on the Micro Fly Rod!

Cannot recall how many fish were caught and released but over 20 would be a good "guestimate".Today's Video.

#13 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,041 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 04:19 AM

Did all the fish come on the same fly. If so very durable.
Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

MUSTAD The wise anglers choice.

#14 fshng84

fshng84

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 11:09 AM

Hi Piker20, yes, they all went for the same fly. But, by the end of the fishing trip, it needed new rubber legs. They tend to tear when I use forceps to remove the fishing fly from the fish's mouth.

#15 fshng84

fshng84

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 12:03 AM

With all the green stuff clobbering the ponds at Bethany Lakes, decided to tie some Foam Grasshoppers for this evening's round of fishing. Good thing, caught a number of Bass and Bluegill. Posted a video of some of the action this evening; of note, was one Bluegill on the hook was almost taken by a nice Bruiser Bass that got away. Got some video of the "attack"! Today's Video.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Foam Grasshopper, Foam Rubber Grasshopper, Grasshopper