Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Guinea Foul feathers

Uses for them

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Mainard

Mainard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 04:40 PM

I was wondering what I could do with a bunch of feathers from a Guinea Hen that I was giving ? I'm thinking you can use them similar to a pheasant tail feather.Any thoughts.

#2 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 04:47 PM

Looks nice sparsely tied on a wet fly pattern in front of a fur wing, here's an October caddis pattern by Steve Bird (don't know if he's any relation to Cal Bird) from his Soft Hackle Journal website.P1060276%2B(640x508).jpg

cb27

#3 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,042 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 05:18 PM

Throats, folded wings, soft hackles, tails. Lots of uses. Dyes well too.

Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

MUSTAD The wise anglers choice.

#4 cphubert

cphubert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 07:05 PM

No use whatsoever, just mail them to me for proper disposal.....rolleyes.gif If you have the loose feathers sort by size you will find a lot of uses, dye some, fun to experiment with both tying and dyeing. 

#5 spiralspey

spiralspey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 08:54 PM

I like guinea for hackles on steelhead flies like spades or green butt skunk variations. In smaller sizes I've used them as hackles on large (size 8) trout soft hackles also. The fibers seem pretty tough, so I guess you could use them to wrap nymph bodies like pheasant tail. Doesn't hurt to try it and see what it looks like.

#6 planettrout

planettrout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 10:15 AM

Makes  some nice tailing:

sVL4z6q.jpg

BLUE DEVIL JIG

PT/TB

Daughter to Father, " How Many arms do you have. How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

#7 Mainard

Mainard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 11:45 AM

Thanks for the ideas . I had a guy mail me a large bag of them, Ill try them on a few.

#8 Mike West

Mike West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 08:47 PM

I use them all the time for skirts on poppers

#9 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 12:45 PM

Blast from the past....Gerbubble bug with Guinea wrapped around the deer hair sides....sportsfans...
IMG_3086.png

IMG_3085.png
Years ago when we had the manageri we had Guineas running around. Bout the dumbest birds around. If you incubated the eggs you better have some chicks to show then how to eat. And never let it rain on the poults cuz they would look up and might drown. Great watch dogs around the place, though. Go off when surprised.
If you wanta sing the blues, you gotta pay your dues, and you know it don't come easy...RS
Due to severe budget cuts and economic down turn the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off...

#10 Rjohn7

Rjohn7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 10:15 AM

Makes  some nice tailing:

sVL4z6q.jpg

BLUE DEVIL JIG

PT/TB

Gorgeous tail. 

added:  this had me looking at my tails with a magnifying glass and thinking about the material and amount of fibers in the tail.