Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Sand Flea Patterns ?

I'm going down to Orange Beach, Ala. at the end of this month. I tried to book a guide for redfish but they were all booked due to spring break. Therefore I guess I'll just do a little surf casting and hope for the best. I think Pompano will be my most likely target and I know they like sand fleas, does anyone have any patterns for them? Also I'll be right at the mouth of Mobile bay and the gulf is on the other side does anyone have any knowledge of fishing opportunities in the area, Thanks in advance. cool.gif

I am fairly certain that I tied some of them from Dick Brown's book and they are posted here in the Archives...They are for Bonefish, but a fly is a fly especially if it is immitating a sand flea.

I don't have any specific information to help you, but there is a fishing shop in panama city and pensacola that has a terrific website with updates every Friday on conditons in the gulf and whats biting/running. it's not a fly shop, but good info. none the less......

www.halfhitch.com

I have seen striblues "sandflea" pattern in the database......you might also look at his "crab apple"......I plan on tying some of those up for my next trip down to PC in a gray/white color to imitate the "ghost" crabs that come out in the late evening along the surfline.

good luck!

Mike

Sawcat,

Try Capt Buddy Weir (251-552-4270). I don,t know how the redfish are hitting

now orange Beach has a fall run of big (25-40lbs) redfish off the beaches. I don't have much experience in the area but it is my understanding that inshore fishing for redfish and speckled trout is better at night around lighted docks, which are

probably scarce right now because of Ivan. At the end of the month cobia will be migrating through the area ( one was caught on the 8th in Pensacola) and pompano usually arive at the same time or a little earlier. The few pomps I have seen caught on flies hit brightly colored charlies (size 4). Some fisherman in Pensacola have also mentioned clousers in chart. over white. In addition to pompano ladyfish, whiting and maybe some spanish mackeeral or blue could also be running the surf.

Good Luck,

Bob.

I fish for Pompano here on the w. coast of FL and I use Bonefish flies. I've had good luck with Gotchas and Yellow Charlies in sizes 6, 4, and 2. Remember to keep your fly on the bottom and bounce it every couple of seconds with a strip. I use a 6 wt., floating or sinking lines both work.