Fly Tying
TIER

Show me the ways

Show me the ways of fly fishing for Largemouth Bass, White Bass, Striped Bass, Crappie, Sunfish, Catfish (Channel), Tilapia, Carp, and Buffalo fish in lake pleasant, Arizona. Please. I'm going there in March.

Different species fish require different techniques. Fly fishing is no different than spinning reel or casting reel fishing. You are not going to catch a channel cat with a popper spin fishing and you are not going to catch it fly fishing either.

You are also going to need different types of sinking fly line to fish at different depths. Also you will need different fly line weight class lines with matching reels and rods.

Perhaps some general reading is in order. Search the internet for "fly fishing for largemouth bass" for example. Click on teh link below and educate yourself so you ask more specific rather than open ended questions.

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=a_gxXZqiC4r0tAbW95CYBg&q=fly+fishing+for+largemouth+bass&oq=fly+fishing+for+largemouth+bass&gs_l=psy-ab.3..35i39j0i67j0j0i67j0i22i30l6.2746.2746..5895...1.0..0.274.369.1j0j1......0....2j1..gws-wiz.....10.V6QbNbphggg&ved=0ahUKEwjag8bmu8HjAhUKOs0KHdY7BGMQ4dUDCAc&uact=5

I travel for work. During the warmer months, I take fly fishing equipment with me. My three favorite flies, whether I am fishing at home or on the road are:

Foam Spider (quiet top water)

DSCF0004.jpg

Flip flop foam popper (Noisy top water)

Aug 2017 flip flop poppers (2).JPG

And my trip saver/go to fly ... "Chell's Panfish Attractor" (sub-surface to bottom)

Aug 2017 Panfish Attractors (2).JPG

You are not going to catch a channel cat with a popper spin fishing and you are not going to catch it fly fishing either.

Not true. I have caught channel cats while fly fishing, and when the the white fly is on the Potomac, they'll take a white popper.

Catfish on a fly seems to be getting somewhat popular. Several were recently shown on another forum I go to.

You are not going to catch a channel cat with a popper spin fishing and you are not going to catch it fly fishing either.

really?

https://www.catfishnow.com/targeting-channel-cats-on-the-fly-rod/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dPt8TW9TEI

http://fishndave.blogspot.com/2011/10/fly-fishing-for-catfish.html

WOOLLY BUGGERS FOR THE WIN! ...for panfish, anyway. I don't like them for trout-I use simi-seal buggers instead. Generic trout flies will work- Muddler, Zonker, etc. Really I just use anything (dries and wets) that looks buggy and I don't care about- I use the good flies for trout and salmon and the duds for other fish Other than that I use green deer-hair poppers for bass. I'm not really serious about anything but trout, though I like bass. Anything else is just a diversion from school when I have nothing better to do, though if I tarpon-, bone-, permit-, blue-, striped bass- etc. fished I would be serious about that, but I live a ways away from salt water. (northern Adirondacks on the real Au Sable) I've always wanted to fish for those species, though I suspect I would still like trout best. It's the surroundings I love, fishing on a roaring river, a quiet, secluded stream or pond, or a nice lake. You don't get that much in saltwater.

I've had some luck catching Crappies and small size Large mouths using size 8-10 winged wets. I fish them like a streamer, 6" -12" strips or on the swing. I'm guessing the fish perceive them as fry? The down side is that after a few fish the wing tends to get pretty mangled so you will go through flies. Just another reason to tie some more-