Fly Tying
vicrider

Group gathering...Tying...Fishing...Friendship

Has there ever been an attempt to put together a gathering of people from the board to get together at a central location where we'd have a room to tie and swap flies and stories in the evening and a place to use those flies and chase fish in the morning. I've got to do this a few times with groups on motorcycle boards and bamboo oriented fishing boards. It's been a great time and great fun to meet and greet the folks you talk with on the board almost daily, some for years. Being retired and retreaded I would be willing to do a lot of the groundwork to lay out an area where plentiful lodging from A+ for well heeled to campsites for the rest of us and everything in between. Some of the places we've met were in Colorado, Arkansas, North Carolina, and even Illinois. If this is something you might be interested in let's get some talk going now on the board since the ones we've done in the past usually book out everything available at a lodge or motel to get better group rates. Some of the areas in AR and MO have numerous fishing sites, reasonable rates, some even private ponds. A large lodge room to set up tying boards would be great and maybe even a few feather vendors might be interested in showing their wares.

It does seem like a pie in the sky idea but some of the group outings from boards have drawn between 25-100 people and I've not done one an awesome time was not had by everyone who could make it. Some of the things to keep in mind are areas for all health situations and ages...i.e. no mountain streams with 6 mile hike...preferred trout habitat available with bonus small and large mouth bass and other fishes for fly. Opportunities for other recreation for wives and/or family. Plentiful lodging and camping in area and a place with a central lodge room would be great.

So, what do some of you think? Possible or not a chance. I'm for possible leaning toward probable.

Nick

Its a great idea. If I was in the states and had time on my hands I would love this type of get together. Hope you have a positive response.

Sounds like a great idea, I'd be game for it. Riffleriversteelheadslayer tried to do a cookout and tie session once, and had a very poor turnout, but I think a more centrally located get together could fly, if there were fishing available. I would be happy to attend, if my schedule allows, which I think I can make happen.

Blane

It's not a bad idea, but we're pretty scattered. I rarely fly, anymore, and driving more that 8 or 9 hours is too much, at my age. Some kind of regional activity might work, though, say a south east meeting in NC or TN, a mid-west meeting in MO, a western meeting in CO, etc.

Perhaps it would be better to plan something local for local tiers. I've noticed this board has members from far and wide, much more so than other boards I'm on which are generally local in nature. No offense but I would not ever for any reason consider a trout fishing trip to AR or MO. On the other hand I also would not plan a trip to Utah or Colorado to meet up with people I don't know. I guess I just haven't embraced this internet thing yet and I don't think that's changing.

My local area is not a trout Mecca but the middle of State is. Locally there is a fellow tier who organizes a monthly tying night at a local craft beer pub. I think they generally get about a half dozen show up. I've yet to attend one but I'm planning on it this winter to meet other local FF and tiers. Through personal interaction I can better decide if I want to go fishing with someone.

Would strong drink be involved! We could even tell some lies at local brewing house?

Rocco

The only thing that makes that seem impractical is the diversity of interests on this forum. I've been involved with such meet-ups on other forums (we even had some international attendees) but they're been focused.

For me, I wouldn't travel more than 20 minutes for a warm-water fishing event, and there are people on the forum that feel the same about trout. There's probably even a fresh/salt divide. And I'm just talking about tying, let alone actually fishing.

Still, the idea is worth exploring.

I met Add147 at an annual "tie-in" on Toledo Bend.

I'd be interested, but I doubt I'd be able to get the time off to travel to some far off destination.

That's funny Mike. I know what you mean but at the same time you travel to far off destinations more than almost anyone on the board.

... travel to far off destinations more than almost anyone on the board.

I know ... my job takes me all over.

On that note, I've "advertised" my trips on here every time.

I've met Add147 and steeldrifter, because I drove to where they were.

I've met richmc and powershooter because we were able to attend the same tying events.

I might have met a couple of other members at those events, sorry if I haven't named you.

So far, no one else has offered to meet up, anywhere else I've traveled to.

If someone sets up a meet, and my job puts me close, I'll attend. But I can't afford to do much traveling on my own dime and time.

I'd be interested but remember there is two in Arkansas one in March and October. The SowBug and the Fly Fishing Fair.

Great idea and i would love to do something like this but just like mike i can't afford to do much traveling.

I do hope it work's out for you guy's that can attend and look forward to maybe seeing some great photos of the gathering.

i would but my government installed "ankle bracelet" would go out of range and begin emitting a loud screaching noise that would irritate the tyers in the room

26223944_SA.jpg

seriously my flying days are pretty much over. i just dont trust the airlines anymore

the fly tying symposium in new jersey will be coming up in november and thats probably the farthest away event i am willing to drive to

the logistics of putting on an event of this magnitude would be an event in itself

good luck with your event