Fly Tying
Mike West

Just got off the phone with Sage...Grrrr

So back in October I flipped my kayak and broke one of my favorite rods in the butt section, a Sage GFL 9 6 8wt...yeah I know an old clunker compared to todays rods but it has huge sentimental value to me,

Ive rewrapped it 3 times and caught literally 1000s of fish on it. Of the 20 biggest fish Ive caught in my life at least 15 came in on this rod.

At first Sage thought that they could replace the butt section..but after further investigation they cant.

So I have a niche I want filled with an 8wt....It has to be a blank and not a finished rod.

It has to be black gray or brown and from 7 9 - 8 6

Talked to Sage about their Bass series and they wont sell it in any other color than green...Offered them an extra hundred dollars not to paint it... no can-do baby boo. I wont even tell you what they said it makes absolutely no sense to me.

So rods that interest me...Loomis/ no blanks...Scott/no blanks...Echo(BAD Glass Quick Shooter) no blanks

Any suggestion or Ideas?

If you have more $$$ than brain cells can the Sage Bass be stripped of the Green and repainted by a pro?

You know what really pisses me off(Besides Sage and thier lame ass answer)

Is that Dale Clemens went away and Scott wont sell blanks any more.

🤔

Green is a nice color. It's the color of money, emeralds, grass, four leaf clovers, spinach, Sage blanks, etc... in fact I have a green 8wt TFO. Green is the new black.

If all your interested in is the butt section check into Rainshadow.

Yep, actually personally I'd just build a whole new Rainshadow Revelation. And they are satin black with good action...

Most the 8wt's I know of and build are 9ft so not too sure of what ones you will find in an 8wt under that length. Could always shorten a 9ft'er a tad though without changing action much.

You can paint the bass series Sage yourself, I've painted blanks before. The biggest problem guys have with painting themselves is they don;t wait long enough for it to fully cure/harden. They try to wraps it a couple days after painting. After painting and clear coating then it's best to wait at least a week to 10 days before wrapping.

Most the 8wt's I know of and build are 9ft so not too sure of what ones you will find in an 8wt under that length. Could always shorten a 9ft'er a tad though without changing action much.

You can paint the bass series Sage yourself, I've painted blanks before. The biggest problem guys have with painting themselves is they don;t wait long enough for it to fully cure/harden. They try to wraps it a couple days after painting. After painting and clear coating then it's best to wait at least a week to 10 days before wrapping.

Steve, What do you use for paint and for clear coat ? I have air brushes and LVLP guns fwiw, so not really thinking spray cans, though they are ok.

Out of curiosity and because rods should not be green, I searched a bit, searched "black fly rod blanks"..and these folks all had some;
American Tackle (Mudhole & Anglers Workshop & Janns))
Hook & hackle
The Angler's Roost
CF Burkheimer
Temple Forks Outfitters
Epic Carbon
Rainshadow
North Fork Composites
Lamiglas
Dan Craft enterprises

But, most of them want you to have 9' or longer, there may have been some 8'6 but not many.

If the blank is just painted and the color isn't in the resin, I'm betting you can remove it with the right solvent and about 30 hours of careful scraping.

Yeah theres about 1000 choices out there for a 9 8wt

I really want a short rod. Basically for fishing out of a bass boat and throwing 40-60 casts to the bank in heavy salad and timber.

I just emailed McFarland to see what his Ameriglass Big Game blank weighs...I might go that route.

Or a TFO Mangrove.

If I want to cut a 9 rod down to 8 should I buy it as a 9wt to end up with a rod that loads with an 8wt?

Edit: I like to find a G Loomis Short Six or Shore Stalker... I cant find blanks of those

Or maybe a St Croix Mojo Bass..Cant find that blank either

Out of curiosity and because rods should not be green,

Blasphemy sir blasphemy! I love green rods. I've done some dark hunter green rods that are just beautiful over the year :)

If I want to cut a 9 rod down to 8 should I buy it as a 9wt to end up with a rod that loads with an 8wt?

Nope you would stay with the 8wt. When you cut the tip section it will make the rod feel a tad faster, then when you cut the butt section it usually makes the rod a tad more moderate so there's a balance to it...to a certain point that is. If you take a 9ft 8wt and trim it down to an 8'6" you'll only be taking 3" off each end and that is not going to really alter the feel much if any at all. If you try to take it down more than that, say to an 8ft then you'd be best to do it in increments and tape guides on and test cast it to make sure it's not giving it a feel you don't like.

Take your time. Can't wind a rod with your thumb all bandaged up anyway. Seriously, because of the restriction in Bass Tournaments to an 8' rod I know some of the companies have been producing 7'10" or 7'11" 8wt. rods for bass tourneys. Haven't researched them lately but know they're out there. Getting the blanks might be a different story though and color a problem. 'Course, you already knew that just wanted to take a shot at your thumb.

Steve is it workable to take a little off at the ferrules? I know back when metal ferrules were common cutting out some in the middle was a means of getting shorter.

Funny Vic

Im not into the whole Basscar thing, could care less about their rule.

But Ill say this years ago with my redneck bass fishing buddy I did fish small local bass tournaments.

Nobody cared about my flyrod in fact they made fun of me.

Thats until I brought a 9 pound bass back to the dock and won biggest bass worth $500... some jerk protested about the rules and I lost... it happened twice.

Dont do the tournament thing anymore so I dont care