Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Any blacksmiths around?

28 replies to this topic

#1 zip

zip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:40 PM

Looking for a blacksmith to do a custom knife for me.Any of you guys smithies or know anyone who is?

All the best,Steve
"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."
John Gierach
----------
Sgt.Steve Bell USMC/Ret
Once a Marine,Always a Marine-Semper Fidelis

#2 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:22 PM

I can shoe your horse or mend your plow, but the fellows you want to meet call themselves "Blade Smiths" and have several forums and a society or three. 

What are your requirements?

#3 zip

zip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:57 PM

Looking for a 6 inch drop point blade,high carbon content,Scandinavian grind,hammered forge marks with a 90 degree spine.
"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."
John Gierach
----------
Sgt.Steve Bell USMC/Ret

#4 Fisherboy0301

Fisherboy0301

17 going on 40

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 11:12 PM

Vicente is your man, Zip.
<p>"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, but Today is a gift, thats why they call it the present." - Anonymous"

Snakes are first cowards, then bluffers, and last of all warriors." - Clifford Pope

"To him, all good things -trout as well as eternal salvation- come by grace, and grace comes by art, and art does not come easy." - Norman Maclean  "A River Runs Through It"

Tenkara is only for little fish!                                                                     </p>

#5 zip

zip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 11:13 PM

Vicente is your man, Zip.

I appreciate the heads up buddy!
John Gierach
----------
Sgt.Steve Bell USMC/Ret

#6 Fisherboy0301

Fisherboy0301

17 going on 40

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 11:18 PM

No problem! I plan to get one from him soon as well!
<p>"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, but Today is a gift, thats why they call it the present." - Anonymous"

Snakes are first cowards, then bluffers, and last of all warriors." - Clifford Pope

"To him, all good things -trout as well as eternal salvation- come by grace, and grace comes by art, and art does not come easy." - Norman Maclean  "A River Runs Through It"

Tenkara is only for little fish!                                                                     </p>

#7 Crackaig

Crackaig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 06:11 PM

Might be moving off topic a little but I would use great care choosing a smith over there if what we see here on TV is anything to go by. We have started to get Forged in Fire on the TV here. There are guys that turn up on the show, having put their names forward weeks if not months previously. Who are supposedly experienced smiths, and time and again you hear "I've never done this or that technique." What? You put yourself forward for a competition where you know you may be required to do these things, and you don't bother to learn and practice them. I don't know about your side of the pond but here a blacksmith (the person who shoes horses is a farrier, not a blacksmith) was a respected trade. If you were a smith you were looked up to as a cut above the norm. I could understand if it was some obscure technique, but it isn't, "I've never made Damascus." And "I've never forge welded". Are these people for real? Choose with care, make sure they can use words of more than two syllables, or at least speak in more than grunts.

I would point you toward my friend Jens Pilgard, a true Viking smith, but he has retired. A shame as he made some of the most beautiful blades I've ever seen, even to smelting iron from a meteorite and converting it to steel.

Cheers,
C.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical
minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd
by the clean end"

#8 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 12:31 AM

what kind of knife are you looking for zip? I might be able to help you out.

#9 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,177 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 06:55 AM

Crackaig ... don't confuse a few TV "15 minutes of fame" guys with the population.  Most real blacksmiths are too busy to bother with a stupid TV show.  Although, blacksmithing is a dying art ... as are many of the "hand-made" trades.

Think about it this way ... if WE (on this side of the pond) judged all of YOU based on the TV shows we get ... ???

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#10 Crackaig

Crackaig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 09:30 AM

The only really comparable current show I  am familiar with from here is Masters of Photography. Though there was one similar based on ceramics a while back. I think the contestants would stack up well enough. They all have at least a good grounding in the basics of what they are doing.

The real problem is finding anything that amounts to more than "chewing gum for the eyes" on any channel.

Cheers,
C.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical
minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd
by the clean end"

#11 rstaight

rstaight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 10:46 AM

Try Smokey Mountain Knife Works. They may have something that fits what you are looking for. But if you must have custom, they may be able to put you in contact with a blade-smith.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.  Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." - Patrick F. McManus

#12 zip

zip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 11:02 AM

what kind of knife are you looking for zip? I might be able to help you out.

Sent you a PM buddy
John Gierach
----------
Sgt.Steve Bell USMC/Ret

#13 zip

zip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 11:05 AM

Try Smokey Mountain Knife Works. They may have something that fits what you are looking for. But if you must have custom, they may be able to put you in contact with a blade-smith.

It's funny you mention that place!I'm actually from pigeon forge and grew up in and out of there!I probably could find what I want there but the price would be absolutely insane and I would much rather do business with the little guy or a friend.
John Gierach
----------
Sgt.Steve Bell USMC/Ret

#14 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,177 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 03:01 PM

vicente has posted pictures of several of his knives.  He makes good looking iron.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#15 rstaight

rstaight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 05:02 PM

It's funny you mention that place!I'm actually from pigeon forge and grew up in and out of there!I probably could find what I want there but the price would be absolutely insane and I would much rather do business with the little guy or a friend.

Understood. 3 of the last 4 rods I have bought have been from smaller builders.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.  Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." - Patrick F. McManus

Reply to this topic