Fly Tying

I need to come up with a name for the deer hair packer that I will be marketing later this year. Some of you may have seen it already. I posted a preview on this forum a few months back(deer hair packer). I havent been able to come up with a name that I like. If I use the name you come up with I will give you one. So this would be more appropriate for those of you that tie deer hair bugs but this is open to anyone. When a winner is selected I will post the new name and the winners name. In case of duplicates the first one received will be the winner. Im looking for something easy to remember. Dont limit yourself to just one try. Just keep throwing names at me. I have to decide by the end of June or sooner if I get a name that just clicks.

Some previous suggestions are:

Clacker packer(it can make a clacking noise like a castanet)

Perfection packer(sounds a bit arrogant)

Master packer(same as above)

Senseis hand

Gator packer(looks like a gators mouth)

The Stine packer

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Greg Stine

post-63286-0-09491100-1556812124_thumb.jpeg

post-63286-0-57179700-1556812149_thumb.jpeg

Pac Man, it looks like Pac Man. But I actually like master packer the most. If you don't think it's the best, no one else will either. I would like to pre-order. what ever you call it.

Power Packer

It looks like a cross between a bullet and a tying vise draw-collet ... both of which are powerful tools.

I thought Bullet Packer, but it wouldn't come up in an online search for deer hair packers with that name.

I see no reason to NOT call it by your name as suggested in your list, "Stine packer".

Power Packer ... that's my recommendation.

I kinda like Pac Man Packer. But I would get sued by Atari or Nintendo or whoever owns the name.

No you wouldnt, the laws only refer to products made in the same industry. Calling a video game pac man would have a problem yes, but not something with fly tying.

Not true, McFly.

"It's a matter of trademarks, not copyright. Trademarks don't run out, though they must be continually used. I'm pretty sure Pacman would be considered to be in use, as it's a very well-known brand."
Since "Pacman" is a trademark, associated with video games, stuffed toys, etc. Although I doubt Greg would get sued, it's WOULD be trademark infringement.

Mike, my tool shop business name is "The Cutting Edge". I can use that name for my tool shop business. However, I also have a knife business, a litigious man in the knife business named A. G. Russel erroneously assumed I was using "The Cutting Edge", (a name he had trademarked for his knife business), for my knife business and served me a letter of cease and desist to stop me from using the name. As it turns out, since I was using the name for my tool shop, (there are hundreds of other tool shops and hair salons named "The Cutting Edge") I was OK, but I could not use the name for my knife business.

I'm sure he can use the name Pacman for his tool, the Pacman people might even like it.

No name recommendations, but that's a nice looking design you got there. Congratulation's on your product and good luck to you. I think it will do well. Could I ask how much they cost?

The final price is TBD. Up until now everything has been prototypes which means Ive spent money that I wont get back. Ive sold a few at $30 just to get a feel for the response and match Pat Cohens Fugly Packer price. The response has been overwhelmingly good.

I was at an event where Pat Cohen was the featured tier and he was selling his packer. I didnt want to be a jerk and announce to everyone what I had so I just quietly showed it to the tiers that where tying hair bugs. Everyone who was tying hair bugs at that event bought one from me and they new all about the fugly packer. Full disclosure I sold 6. This event had about 40 tiers. Only 4 were tying hair bugs. The other 2 were sold to people that saw my I interaction with those tiers. I saw him sell 3 although I didnt watch him that close.

Bottom line is the price will be set after the first production run when all cost of production can be calculated. Im hoping to keep it at $30 or hopefully less but it might be higher but not over $40.

Perhaps, Mark. I am no lawyer, but I had to look it up because crap like that interests me. The quote is from a site I found that was discussing the use of trademarks vs. copywrites.

But I did state ... I very much doubt that anyone would bother chasing Greg down if he used the name.

Looks like it is more ergonomic than other available packers.

I'm Calling it the Ergo-Packer or Ergo-Hair-Packer.

Ergonomic: Relating to or designed for efficiency and comfort in the working environment.

Depending on length of time using, a proper design can reduce fatigue or a painful and costly injury