Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
chugbug27

Hello from Topanga, CA (and NOLA)

What a wonderful forum! Awesome flies, pics, tips, detailed explanations, debates, ideas. And so many incredibly experienced and skilled tiers contributing their wisdom and guidance. And a friendly and supportive place to boot, brimming with personality! I'm 53 and have never joined any forum before, ever, not even close, but I'm definitely drawn to this one, I'm even posting! I even joined a couple of swaps! Thanks to everyone who contributes, and thanks for your patience.

As for me, I got bit bait fishing for all submerged life forms at age six, and then got bit, much, much harder, by fly fishing in streams for trout in my early thirties. I started fly tying shortly after I began fly fishing, but mainly to feel better about losing so many flies. (I'm a bit of a clutz, but very, very patient.) I quickly dropped the tying part after realizing how much time it took.. Then about a year ago I got bit into absolute oblivion after reading a David Hughes book on tying and matching flies to selective trout, and I've been nearly nonstop trout fishing, reading, and bug tying after that.

My stomping grounds are the eastern Sierra streams (lower Owens, Hot Creek, Upper Owens, San Joaquin, Bishop Creek), a mere five hour drive. I prefer Bishop to Mammoth. (Prefer is an understatement.) In addition to coffee I'm addicted to Schatt's bread.

I'm cheap as all get out, but that hasn't stopped me from spending way too much money on feathers, fluff and stuff feeding my relatively new fly tying habit.

I'm a lawyer by trade (semi-retired, but maybe just tired), a poet of sorts, and in my other life in New Orleans you can find me and my valentine swing dancing on Frenchmen Street and strolling down Royal for a nice cup of late afternoon coffee at Sucre.

Thanks again to all who contribute to this forum.

- Chugbug27

A belated welcome to the site, Chug! Nice introduction! Glad to have you as a contributing member.

Looking forward to more pictures of your flies and the fish they fool !!!

Welcome to the best forum. Many renowned and just starting comes here. Advice tips tricks no matter age or experience can be gleaned and inputs always welcome.

Happy to have you as a member here. Welcome