Fly Tying
Gustav F.

What brand of tying thread do you use?

451 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Nowadays I use mainly Bennechi. I like it because it's thin, not very elastic and it's strong.

Benecchi is my standard thread but when I need a very thin thread I use UNI trico 17/0 and whenever very strong thread is required I use Roman Mosers power silk. I like the trico because it's inexpensive and, well, thin :P The power silk is a little pricy but it's not really that much money compared to the costs of the hook. At least it is strong as hell.

Danville. I've tried Uni, Bennechi, Pearsalls, and some others, but never saw the need to change from Danville. I started with Danville, many, many years ago, and I rarely tie anything smaller than a size 14, and even then I don't tie small flies all that often, so just don't need the finer threads these other companies offer. Danville products have worked fine for me all these years, so I see no need to switch.

I use Uni mostly and Danville 0/3 monocord for tying. I like the Uni 0/8 and 0/6 for everything I tie, and the Monocord I use for spinning deer hair and for some small trout flies.

You might want to add UTC thread as that one of the major thread companys.

I'm probably a toss between Danville and Uni. I voted Danville just because I think it's probably a little more versatile in that I can either twist or flatten it. But the Uni comes out just about as much.

Deeky

I spend more time with Uni on the bobbin than any other, but I use several brands. I have quite a bit of Danville and UTC. I have a few older ones too.

I voted other because UTC is not listed and that is my primary thread. But .. I also have UNI, Pearsalls, Gudebrod, Coats & Clark and a few others. I tie a bunch of Zebra midges and really like the UTC for them.

Mike

Thanks for reminding me of UTC. Myself I have never had any contact with that brand so I forgot to add it as a choice in the poll.

Danville's Flymaster and some UTC. I don't like Uni because it won't flatten. Lagartun is nice but @ $4.50 per roll it isn't that nice.

I voted other because I use almost all of them. Each has there own different properties and I use them in different situations. I do not use just one certain brand of thread.

carlp

most often Danville 6/0 waxed, Danville 3/0 monocord for some larger things such as saltwater flies and foam bugs and giant woolly buggers, and of course GSP for spinning deer hair but I forget what company's sticker is on it. I've tried Uni threads but just don't prefer them over Danville. Uni does offer some colors (Purple) that Danville does not.

of course GSP for spinning deer hair but I forget what company's sticker is on it.

UTC

Danville is what I prefer to use.

But I also use:

- UNI

- UTC

- Bennechi

- GSP either from UTC or my fishing rod. :rolleyes:

- Mono in various tests.

Pretty much what ever is available.