Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Fresh water Fish Flyfishing

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Poll: What is your favorite fresh water fish to chase?

What is your favorite fresh water fish to chase?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 appalachian angler (tn.)

appalachian angler (tn.)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 02:46 AM

I know this topic has been covered before but I thought it would be fun, especially since there are so many new members. If I have left out a species that you are passionate about, by all means speak up! What fish do you love to chase? bait.gif

A.A.
"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies"

-- Bob Lawless.

#2 johnnyquest

johnnyquest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 09:27 PM

Mainly panfish and bass.... but that is because they are easier to catch on a fly than some of the colder water species. I have caught a few trout on a fly, but no big ones yet. Also plan on doing some steelhead fishing this spring with my flyrod. Mostly though, i am still a bait dunker.

#3 fishyfranky

fishyfranky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 11:25 PM

All things considered, there is no better freshwater fish than steelhead cool.gif

#4 nedbm3

nedbm3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 10:30 AM

I like to fish for anything but my favorite is definitely trout.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work.

http://groups.yahoo....aniaflyfishing/

#5 kschu

kschu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 11:01 AM

I fish for anything that swims. But mostly I fish for Bass and Panfish. They are what is in the water in my area. In my book, Smallmouth Bass rule the waters.

The rivers, streams and creeks of NE IL have Smallies, panfish (Bluegill and Greenies), creek chubs (aka. suburban trout) and various rough fish.

The ponds are loaded with all sorts of panfish, Bass (SM, LM and white), catfish, crappie, and carp.

If one is willing to drive a few hours, the spring creeks in SW WI are available for trout fishing. I have a fly fishing buddy at work who treks up there every chance he gets. I tried it once last year, but conditions were definitely against me. Nasty cold front put everything down, not a cloud in the sky, very sunny and hot. I gave up and drove to one of my favorite rivers in IL on my way home. I could not get a bite at even my best spots.

I want to try Steelhead this year. I'm going to throw flies at Musky near the end of this month. I'm talking with a guy at the fly shop about a pike outing this summer. And I'm sure I will give those WI spring creeks another try.

Ken S.
Owner: SmallieFishing.com
Member of the Illinois Smallmouth Alliance
Rivers: Fox, DuPage, Kishwaukee, Kankakee
Ponds: Fermilab Ponds, Blackwell Forest Preserve
Fishing primarily DuPage and Kane counties in NE Illinois

#6 SmallieHunter

SmallieHunter

For I am Mullis...Lord of the idiots!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,500 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 11:37 AM

I'll let you guys guess what I voted for biggrin.gif

test

#7 Kodiak Commando

Kodiak Commando

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 12:26 PM

I do have a favorite species or two butI am not going to say there is one fish better than any other fish and because i live in a place where variety is plentiful i have learned that all fish are special in some way. Pinks and dollies are the most plentiful and are easier to catcht then most species, Kings and chums have great strenth, silvers are plentiful fish that are the acrobats of the salmon world, steelhead have a mysterious auro around them, reds are the salmon of 1000 casts and big bows are supercharged monsters.

I could go on and on but my favorite fish to target would have to be 3 different species. I love silver salmon cuz of their acrobatics and abundace, abundant enough to catch 20 a day for a fish that averages 10 pounds, can't beat that headbang.gif The second fish is what i believe to be the most underated freshwater fish along with carp, Chum salmon, pound for pound are much harder pullers than kings and jump like silvers. The third and final is big rainbows, i love all rainbows but the big ones of the kenai, naknek,kvichiak and other rivers are in a class of their own. Frankly they are as big as steelhead and in my opinion fight better, probably cuz they are juiced up from all those eggs and flesh.
I wish my first words when i was born were quote so right before I died I could say unqoute-stepen wright

#8 skeet3t

skeet3t

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 09:35 AM

I fish mostly for trout. I'm looking to get my boat running again and try some warmwater fishing. Wife prefers it over trout. She belongs to the "Heave it and Leave it" club. Doesn't like to "hunt" for trout, although she caught a trout on her first time out. Goal this summer is to catch a carp on the fly. I have rigged an 8 ft. glass rod with a LA reel in 8 wt. line with a whole bunch of backing. Will let you know how it turns out. See you on the water! biggrin.gif

John Torchick

So much water, so little time!
Enjoying the Creation, Praising the Creator!

#9 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 10:19 AM

I live right across the street from a tidal river that its main game fish is brown trout.
My Webpage - http://joehardflytying.4t.com/ (WARNING LOTS OF POP UPS)

This fella will be pleased with your work, if not hes damn nuts, and should be beat with a stick!! fly time

"All it takes is one fool to be standing arround doing something, for a bunch of other fools to join in"......a quote from an old Newfoundlander I met fishing in the pooring rain

#10 jcstikfish

jcstikfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 12:47 PM

For me, it's tough to beat the satisfaction you get from hooking and landing a nice steelhead in big water.

~James thumbup.gif
www.autumnbrookangling.com
Custom Flies and NJ Guide Service

#11 fishaholic

fishaholic

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 02:07 PM

That would have to be the elusive GL steelhead.............. headbang.gif headbang.gif

#12 flymaster

flymaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 12:21 PM

Hey what if you are seasonal. I love trout in the fall and winter and bass in the spring and summer. But I still do sneak off to trout fish in the summer some too so what should I say? dunno.gif How about a vote for each!

FM
CPR Catch-Photo-Release!

#13 Lance Kekel

Lance Kekel

Adored by fish feared by women!...no wait a minute, fish adore..I mean, women..feared.......oh forget it!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 09:30 AM

Trout are definitely my favorite but I put more time in on steelhead just out of pure convenience. It's tough not to when it's less than 10 min. to be on the water from work. biggrin.gif
Lance Kekel

Get me on the water!!

#14 Sean Juan

Sean Juan

Local Boob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 01:07 PM

After some thought I voted for Largemouth Bass - which surprises me because I have never actually made a trip with Largemouth bass in mind - its just that every pond, lake, stream, or puddle seems to hold a few of them so most of my freshwater fishing is for them by default.
F'ing the ineffable since 1974

#15 MSUICEMAN

MSUICEMAN

When this baby hits 88mph...your gonna see some serious sh*t!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 01:57 PM

i have to be honest, i chase the walleye around more than anything, and are my favorite. second is with the stick and that is steelies, then browns.
He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman.