Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mcfluffchucker

using sili skin

before you press two adhesive sides together ensure that there is no stretch to the material. Dampening your fingers will aid in handling the material.

before you press two adhesive sides together ensure that there is no stretch to the material. Dampening your fingers will aid in handling the material.

thanks fred

What are you tying with it? It is difficult to use until you get used to using it. I use it for grubs, caddis larva, worm patterns, and others.

I found an article in an old fly fishing/tying mag that was about the guys who invented it and they showed 2 patterns, the minnow that comes in the package and the second a :"gummy" stone fly. I tied a few GSF's for a box raffled off at apresentation dinner for our club last year ( Tracy fly fishers ) www.tracyflyfishers.org pretty cool pattern. don't remember the article I'll see if I can find it tomorrow, meanwhile the article recommends using lotion on your hands just prior to handling the skin . I found that advice advantageous. more to follow it's late and I'm beat, ganight john boy!

Here's some that I do up.

Under body is E-Z Body tubing with sili-ski folded over it. These are designed to imitate silversides.

gallery4521aea2f09a9.jpg

Same with this batch, though the smaller one are sili skin folded over the hook

gallery45611650aea92.jpg

This one was just for fun, though I may fish it one day.

gallery4561172664e3d.jpg

I've tied up some of the gummy stoneflies but we don't have many in my neck of the woods. There's a Harry Steeves pattern where he uses sili skin as the underbody that he folds foam over. I've done some caddis pupae with it, but prefer spinner bait skirts(sili-legs) for them as it makes a better segmented body

I found an article in an old fly fishing/tying mag that was about the guys who invented it and they showed 2 patterns, the minnow that comes in the package and the second a :"gummy" stone fly. I tied a few GSF's for a box raffled off at apresentation dinner for our club last year ( Tracy fly fishers ) www.tracyflyfishers.org pretty cool pattern. don't remember the article I'll see if I can find it tomorrow, meanwhile the article recommends using lotion on your hands just prior to handling the skin . I found that advice advantageous. more to follow it's late and I'm beat, ganight john boy!

Have a bunch of the sili-skin stored away in a box of synthetic materials & it's next to impossible to get a gummy minnow over 1 1/2" long because the skin puckers when it's removed from the backing sheet & doesn't stay flat. I'll wait to tie anymore until I see what article you have to print out, plus get the lotion mentioned to dampen the fingers. It's pricey stuff to be throwing away, other than that the actual steps to applying the skin seems easy enough. :bugeyes:

I tied a few flies using sili skin and wrapping a body for caddis etc. They looked good but after awhile the sili skin broke down on all of them or ripped apart the whole length of the body. Anyone else notice this? Some of the flies are pretty old but I just did some a few months ago and the same thing. Perhaps my sili-skin is too old now??

I tied a few flies using sili skin and wrapping a body for caddis etc. They looked good but after awhile the sili skin broke down on all of them or ripped apart the whole length of the body. Anyone else notice this? Some of the flies are pretty old but I just did some a few months ago and the same thing. Perhaps my sili-skin is too old now??

Did you stretch it a lot? This happens more frequently when the material is over-stretched. Here are a few patterns with sili skin incorporated in them.

Medusa Worm Cluster

2974111296_0d1681ca35.jpg

Sili Skin Caddis

2973258371_905326120f.jpg

Ooeey Gooey Grub

2973257623_df108d5c61.jpg

Good Day,

In a word, patience. Too fast with this material and you will hate yourself and the material pretty quickly.

In fact I would suggest a different material all together - Crystal Skin. The primary reason, IMHO, is that Crystal skin is more forgiving than Sili Skin. If you make a mistake, you can (carefully) separate the material and "fix" it. This is nearly impossible with Sili Skin. Crystal Skin also comes in a variety of thicknesses and colors including glitter(s). And a big selling point for many folks... it is about half what Sili Skin costs. J. Stockard carries it:

http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/item/S...ystal-Skin.html

Steelie