Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Game of Thrones ... wow !!!

67 replies to this topic

#31 Mike West

Mike West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 01:45 PM

I watched two episodes of this and just really couldnt get into it .
The two shows I got addicted to you was Dexter and Shamless.
Any of you guys watch those?
Shameless is the best show on TV.

#32 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

I said "boo" to Gregor Clegane. He ran and hid !

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,695 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 02:51 PM

I tried watching Shameless a few months back. A friend of mine said it was a great show so I tried to get into it, but after 3-4 episodes I just couldn't take it. Wasn't my style of show at all. Can't say I have heard of Dexter, I'll have to look it up and see what that's about.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#33 mikechell

mikechell

I love Florida Summer !!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,438 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 08:14 PM

Wife loved Dexter ... me, not so much.

Breaking bad might be a good show, but I've not looked at it.  Most likely, won't.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#34 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,695 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 09:21 PM

You should check out breaking bad Mike, I think you'd like it. IMO I feel it is the best drama series I have ever seen on TV. It's so good I actually have rewatched the entire series a few times, which is something I normally don't do with a series.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#35 Rjohn7

Rjohn7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 11:41 PM

I loved the books and did them all way back when they first came out.  George RR Martin is famous for killing off characters.  Tried watching the series and its just not true enough to the books for me, but too close to ignore the issues.   

Dexter I did the books first also. The series was fun also.  they go in such wildly different directions that its not an issue, its more like different stories than a faithless retelling.

#36 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,754 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 02:25 PM

3 truths. One should never read the books first. One should watch Shameless with an open mind. One should not get attached to any character in GOT. I will have to get whichever cable station hooked into Hulu again to finish Shameless last seasons. I can definitely see where a lot of people would be turned off by the show but I agree it is hilarious but maybe a little too raw for even me at times. 

As for Dexter I watched every episode and it's one of those few shows that really pulled off the ending. I hate shows that lead to an ending and that let you guess on what happens. I am tempted to let GOT run it's course and then sit back and binge watch but know I just can't do it. At least there's no commercials. I watch a lot of network shows on Hulu or Prime so we can do away with commercials.

#37 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,695 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 07:16 PM

3 truths. One should never read the books first. One should watch Shameless with an open mind. One should not get attached to any character in GOT. I will have to get whichever cable station hooked into Hulu again to finish Shameless last seasons. I can definitely see where a lot of people would be turned off by the show but I agree it is hilarious but maybe a little too raw for even me at times.

Very true about books. I know in the past there's been a few movies where I read the book first and no matter how great the movie was, if it is a bit different than the book (which they always are) then it's so hard to not notice & compare lol.

Shameless- That's what turned me off of Shameless. I'm a fan of William H Macy I think he's a good actor so that's why I started watching Shameless, but that style of humor just isn't the type of humor I find funny or enjoy. I never was one that liked the crude style of humor like that.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#38 xvigauge

xvigauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 11:20 PM

My GF loves it. I watched a couple of episodes and tried to get into it, but just couldn't. I don't get it. I don't get all the hype and I don't understand how there is such a following. I guess I'm just a fuddy duddy old fart cut from a different ilk.

BTW, anything at all that even hints at zombies is a complete turn off. I will not watch anything that has zombies.

Joe

#39 mikechell

mikechell

I love Florida Summer !!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,438 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 06:38 AM

I guess I haven't watched enough of the other shows that have zombies.  

In fact ... I watched two movies that had them "28 days later" and "I am Legend" ... both of which were good movies.

And the "Resident Evil" series, which I started watching because ... Milla Jovovich !  I kept watching them because I like the premise.

All of those movies, the zombies are the result of human experimentation. 

While I don't believe that any "zombie apocalypse", I do believe that human experimentation will eventually lead to some pandemics.  Well, I hope they do.  The human race needs another global "Bottleneck Event".

Zombies in shows don't bother me.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#40 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,695 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 12:35 PM

I'm pretty much the same way with zombie shows, I don't care at all for zombie stuff so I don't usually watch those type of shows. With the exception of what Mike mentioned, I did like the Resident evil series (because of Milla :)) and I liked I am legend.

Game of Thrones starts off pretty good, but if someone only watches a few episodes, or maybe just season 1 and stops then they are not actually getting into the best of it. I just started season 5 last night now and I think while it starts off good in season 1,it actually gets much better around mid way through season 2 and after that. Seasons 3 & 4 had some extremely good story lines in them.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#41 Rjohn7

Rjohn7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 03:09 PM

A Game of Thrones is the first novel in A Song of Ice and Fire came out in 1996.  the series started in 2011.  Having read the books as they came out,  there is noway to suppose there would ever be a series.  In fact I doubted there would be because the production values would have been far to expensive in the 90's.  It is silly to avoid reading a great series in case they ever become film.

#42 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,695 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 04:41 PM

I doubt vicrider meant that literally. He was probably just saying one should try not to compare the film to books. At least that is how I took it.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#43 Lesg

Lesg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 05:03 PM

The only books that I read before the movie and wasn't disappointed when the movie came out were  "One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest" and "The Lord of the Rings Trilogy". Usually the movie is a disappointment after the book and sometimes it's hard to tell that is supposed to be the same story. I was addicted to "Breaking Bad" and another one was "The Last Kingdom" on Netflix. Didn't read either. I can't get "Game of Thrones" for free yet so I guess I'm going to have to wait to find out what it's all about or start reading.

#44 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 05:46 PM

The Americans on Amazon Prime (came from Fx) is my current binging vice. I stopped GOT and stopped Shameless. Liked them at first but they outlasted my interest.
cb27

#45 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,695 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 12:17 PM

Just finished up season 5 of Game of Thrones, that's all the seasons I had in DVD's so gotta jump on ebay and buy seasons 6&7 now. I tell ya what the killing of main characters was interesting at first, but now it's starting to get to be a bit redundant. Seems like they are killing people off now just for the sake of doing it dry.png

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Reply to this topic