Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Organizing Dubbing

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tctrout

tctrout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 10:43 AM

Organizing our fly tying materials is something that is always changing for most of us. I have many systems in place, some of which I really like, and others that I've had just semi-success with.

For this fly tying tutorial, I briefly examine some organizational methods for dubbing (specifically nymph), and conclude by sharing the system I utilize.  Feel free to share any system(s) you use that you've had success with; this is an area that we don't spend a lot of time discussing, though one that can pay dividends when setup correctly.

TC

Thanks for viewing my website: http://www.troutandfeather.com

Feel free to also check out my fly tying tutorials here: 

http://www.youtube.com/tctrout

#2 Cannonx4

Cannonx4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 06:31 AM

Some great ideas there. I've only been tying for a short period of time and I am a little lost on what dubbing is used for what. I don't have a whole lot of different kinds of dubbing. I have box of squirrel that I bought somewhere. This has about 10 or 12 different colors in it and I also have a box of UV2 synthetic dubbing I use for dry flies. So far it has sufficed but not necessarily what a pattern calls for.

I have been wondering about making my own. Say for instance getting a roadkill rabbit or squirrel and taking the clippers to it like a barber. Give it a hair cut so to say. Then trying to mix up some different kinds. Any thoughts on this process? I am certainly open to suggestions.

Thanks for all of the videos you put out, you do a great job on them.

Ronnie Cannon

#3 tctrout

tctrout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 07:22 PM

Some great ideas there. I've only been tying for a short period of time and I am a little lost on what dubbing is used for what. I don't have a whole lot of different kinds of dubbing. I have box of squirrel that I bought somewhere. This has about 10 or 12 different colors in it and I also have a box of UV2 synthetic dubbing I use for dry flies. So far it has sufficed but not necessarily what a pattern calls for.

I have been wondering about making my own. Say for instance getting a roadkill rabbit or squirrel and taking the clippers to it like a barber. Give it a hair cut so to say. Then trying to mix up some different kinds. Any thoughts on this process? I am certainly open to suggestions.

Thanks for all of the videos you put out, you do a great job on them.

Thanks for the kind words, Cannon.  

Regarding mixing your own dubbing, I do so in small quantities and rarely take clippers to the material.  Instead, I use a dubbing rake to remove sections from the hide, and then blend colors together in a coffee bean grinder.  It's worked well for me over the years that way, though when I have small batches, I can sometimes mix the colors together easily (and much quicker) in my hands.  

I'm betting if you search the forum, you will find a topic on this one.  Good luck, and thanks again for the positive comments,

Tim

Thanks for viewing my website: http://www.troutandfeather.com

Feel free to also check out my fly tying tutorials here: 

http://www.youtube.com/tctrout