Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

My son playing...flytying :)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Pike.ro

Pike.ro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 02:52 AM

My (almost)8 years old son was watching me while tying my flies since he was 5 and he wanted to try that, too. He learns very fast and seems to enjoy tying simple flies smile.png

Can't wait for the summer to take him out to the river so he can fish with his own made flies biggrin.png

<@)))))))))))><

#2 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,663 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 07:52 AM

He's learned well.  Good concentration on getting it right.  

Nice job on the "dramatic" intro to the video.  

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#3 Pike.ro

Pike.ro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 08:04 AM

Thank you! He's learning fly tying, I'm learning After Effects :D

<@)))))))))))><

#4 Fisherboy0301

Fisherboy0301

17 going on 40

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 08:22 AM

That's amazing! I can't even tie that good! Go give that boy a big hug for me and tell him just how awesome he is! :) ;) :D :P
<p>"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, but Today is a gift, thats why they call it the present." - Anonymous"

Snakes are first cowards, then bluffers, and last of all warriors." - Clifford Pope

"To him, all good things -trout as well as eternal salvation- come by grace, and grace comes by art, and art does not come easy." - Norman Maclean  "A River Runs Through It"

Tenkara is only for little fish!                                                                     </p>

#5 carpflyguy

carpflyguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 08:54 AM

Wow! He can really tie!! Nice job with the filming as well - it made it look like something that would be on a TV show!

#6 BattenkillBum

BattenkillBum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 04:00 PM

Very nice video

#7 utyer

utyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,257 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 11:08 PM

We may have a budding young tying start on our hands.  Hope he sticks with it.  Only one comment, he's too neat.  He was putting tools away before he even started.  Great.

"We have met the ememy, and he is us." Pogo by Walt Kelly

#8 Pike.ro

Pike.ro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 02:30 AM

Nobody's perfect :D

Thank you all for the kind words!

<@)))))))))))><

#9 muskyhunter81

muskyhunter81

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 04:55 PM

That is cool...I have a 5 year old who was soooo excited that he learned how to start and wrap thread around a hook last week.  He was very excited.  I hope he continues to learn to tie flies.  I think that it would be great if he learned to tie as good as your boy when he is 8.  Thank you for sharing.