Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
antonio999us

Daiwa Salt Pro Minnow Lure restoration story

Hello Fly Tying Forum,

It has passed some time since my last visit. I was over loaded with my work and traveling for business. Please, excuse me for posting this post that is not about fly tie, but i am sure many of you will find interesting for your fishing. Please, let me tell you something about this post.

A friend of mine, Marco, brought me one of his lures that he likes most. It was a Daiwa Salt Pro Minnow lure, which I like a lot as well. Maybe many of you may know this plug. It is a great lure, excellent pay for value, and very effective when your are fishing with a spinning rod from the shores. You can reach long distances with it, and also, it is a very good hunter.

Well after having lots of fights, the lure was all scratched so I decided to offer Marco to do a restoration work on it.

In this video, I will have the chance to show you a summary of the process that I followed to restore the plastic plug until giving a second brand new life to the lure.

Included in the video, you can see the main steps that I followed. It was incredible to see the transformation process. From having a scratched and old lure at the starting point, to finally get a new lure with a news and different characteristics.

Please leave me your comments and recommendations, and I invite you to watch my video and I hope you like it.

Here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxA2kY3tjmk

Antonio, nicely done! Your video could be used for finishing fly rod poppers or sliders, so certainly can have an application here. I'm a big fan of those lures as well & have several of them. One of my only issues with them, the finish doesn't hold up well, so nice to see a restoration. smile.png

Nice job.

We all like fishing. I have been known to pick up a spinning or casting rod on more than occasion. A couple of my favorites are a Rapala or a Zara Spook.

The techniques you used for finishing can easily be used by several folks here that tie cork or balsa poppers.

Thanks for the video.

Nice job. Why foil and then paint over the foil. I could not see any difference from the foiled and unfoiled areas. Is this my eyes playing tricks on me?

Antonio, nicely done! Your video could be used for finishing fly rod poppers or sliders, so certainly can have an application here. I'm a big fan of those lures as well & have several of them. One of my only issues with them, the finish doesn't hold up well, so nice to see a restoration. smile.png

Hello Tidewaterfly, thank you very much for your comment and give me the chance to share and show you my work.... I am addicted to these kind of fishing lures, specially the Japanese ones... Around one year ago, I began to do my own minnow lures starting from a piece of raw Balsa wood... while I was painting them, I thought that I may repair some of my old and almost lost lures that I had in the further corner of my house workshop. Now I am happy with the results, I invite you to watch other of my videos in Youtube and I will appreciate you thoughts and recommendations

Nice job.

We all like fishing. I have been known to pick up a spinning or casting rod on more than occasion. A couple of my favorites are a Rapala or a Zara Spook.

The techniques you used for finishing can easily be used by several folks here that tie cork or balsa poppers.

Thanks for the video.

Hello Rstaight, thank you for your thoughts...I am very happy that some anglers in the Forum can pick some ideas up from my video to enhance their lures, flies or poppers. That's exactly the idea to be part of the forum... When I tie a Fly I tried to learn a lot form you... And I love it.

You know, I used to have many Rapalas, mainly the X-Rap, but some years ago i switch to Japanese lures... I didn't know about the Zara Spook... I will review in internet to see what I find.

Just to finish, for those who like to do Balsa Poppers, some months ago a posted in my Youtube channel my video 100% Homemade Wooden Lures, maybe some of you can watch them and give me some tips to improve my work. Look for my Channel with my id Antonio999us.... let me know your comments...I will appreciate them...

Nice job. Why foil and then paint over the foil. I could not see any difference from the foiled and unfoiled areas. Is this my eyes playing tricks on me?

Hello Popdeck

Very good question... Maybe the video is not perfect and it doesn't show the actual lure. I am just an amateur doing videos as well... Please let me explain you... I foiled the lure before painting, because the paint that I used in this case was transparent. Then, the combination of the aluminium foil in the back-end with the transparent pink paint, gives a metallic effect to the lure... In other cases, when I use a solid paint, i do not foiled them .... Thank you for your comment...I invite you to visit my Youtube channel and I'll be very happy to receive your comments...