Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Late April Indiana Smallmouth

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 SmallieHunter

SmallieHunter

For I am Mullis...Lord of the idiots!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,500 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 09:49 PM

I am kicking around the idea of trying out a new Smallmouth stream in Indiana around the end of April. I believe the stream is just south of Lafayette so it should only be a few hours for any of you MI boys that might be interested. I talked to a guide and he had albums full of photos of 18"+ Smallies that he has caught from this creek so I am more than eager to get out that way and I would love to try them before they start spawning.

Also there is quite a few canoe liveries on the stream so I'm hoping to hit it early before the aluminum hatch dry.gif

I would like to see some of you try to make it headbang.gif

test

#2 MIKE*A

MIKE*A

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 08:03 PM

I saw those same pic.s........very impressive! Let us know when you figure out a weekend, I wouldn't mind trying to get up there. as long as it's not opening day for my sons baseball......I still might be able to shoot up for the day on Sunday.......I probably better start looking for some new waders.....

Mike

#3 Alex C.

Alex C.

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 09:51 PM

I can probably get down there for a weekend, what weekend?

#4 SmallieHunter

SmallieHunter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,500 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 10:27 PM

As of right now I would say the weekend of the 29th, unless somebody has a different weekend they like. I am personally gonna take a Friday off(at least) and make a long weekend trip out of it.

test

#5 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

When I grow up, I'm moving to Florida !!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,952 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 11:06 PM

Hmmm let me see....last saterday in april (trout opener) or fishing for bass rolleyes.gif such a hard decision shit.gif wink.gif

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#6 sparkleminnow

sparkleminnow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 07:00 AM

Will, I have a pretty good idea of what stream you're referring to. If it's the one I'm thinking of I have been there a few times before. If you don't want to say openly on the board, which stream this is, drop me a PM. I can tell you what streches produce, access, flies that will work, etc. I might join you on this one, but it so happens that the wiper run is starting at this time, also. If the conditions are prime for them, I won't be joining you.

Again, if the stream you're talking about is the one I think it is, they love poppers. April might be a bit early for topwater, though. I can't say, as I have not fished it that early in the year. My favorite time to fish it is June-August. Are you going to float it, or wade. Floating it will get you to some of the best water, much easier.

#7 Alex C.

Alex C.

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 08:15 AM

I really wanted to get out for the trout opener here but I've never backed down from a fight with a smalmouth and I don't plan on starting now boxing.gif Count me in

#8 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,952 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 01:26 PM

Traitor! gun_bandana.gif

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#9 Alex C.

Alex C.

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 03:02 PM

Traitor! gun_bandana.gif

Chicken! Mooning-Smilie.gif

You dont tug on supermans cape, you dont spit into the wind you dont pull the mask off the ol' lone ranger and ya dont mess around with SD

I'm not a warmwater only guy or a trout only guy, I am a "try and fish every piece of water on the planet" type guy. With all the great trout streams w/in 30 minutes of my front door, I'm not worried about missing out on the opener, their will be plenty more of them, and I'll have infinite opportunities to go after them during midweek and hopefully have a little more peace and quiet. You can't deny that flyfishing for trout the opener in MI would be be boring compared to a trip alongside some of the guys from this site and some drag peelin smallmouth. headbang.gif

#10 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,952 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 03:06 PM

QUOTE (skunked @ Mar 18 2005, 03:02 PM)
You can't deny that flyfishing for trout the opener in MI would be more exciting than a trip alongside some of the guys from this site and some drag peelin smallmouth. headbang.gif

laugh.gif You said it not me...and I didnt even have to edit that line!

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#11 Alex C.

Alex C.

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 03:11 PM

wallbash.gif devil.gif

#12 Alex C.

Alex C.

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 10:51 PM

Couple quesions

Does Indiana have a 1 or a weekend license?
What about lodging prices?

#13 SmallieHunter

SmallieHunter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,500 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 11:20 PM

I will probably be tenting it in a campground in the area but I'm sure there are some hotels around for anyone not wanting to sleep on the ground(I will check into that).

They do offer several different licenses for out of staters so I will look up that info as well. I do know a full year out of state license is only twenty something dollars.

test

#14 Alex C.

Alex C.

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 05:48 PM

That doesn't sound bad. When you find out about a campground/site let me know if I'll need to make any neccessary reservations. I would rather camp out in a thunderstorm than sleep in a hotel anyday headbang.gif

#15 lewy271

lewy271

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 05:42 PM

OOO I may be interested...PM me Let me know