Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
chugbug27

Kanekalon

A big beauty supply store in my neighborhood is going out of business and they have probably 50 different types of kanekalon for deep discount sale in hundreds of colors.

Is all kanekalon created equally? I'm going to using it for small baitfish (fresh & salt), shrimp, and crab patterns, maybe also for the tail end of deer hair poppers, not big game stuff.

Any advice from those in the know would be appreciated.

I picked up some a while back at a beauty store for cheap. It's a little stiff for my needs. I've only used it a couple times as an accent color with Congo or ep. It could have tons of uses in fly tying, but I haven't found any that fit my needs yet.

My advice would be to get a few and try. I'd be interested in seeing what you use it for. My packages are huge and I would never use an entire one, but they were 99 cents each so no big deal. However, I'll pass on getting any more.

It sounds exactly like the costume wigs from Dollar Tree. As Caloosa stated, the fibers are somewhat stuff. And they kink if you bend them sharply. (Like when snag folds them over the hook)

I've got several of the wigs, and rarely use any of them.

I have a bunch of it. Prefer to use it with other materials. It works well for tying with bucktail, as it allows making a longer fly, and supports the bucktail some. Well worth trying if you want to tie with synthetic materials and don't want to pay thru the nose for some of the fly shop stuff.

It's the synthetic equivalent to Yak hair IMO.

Thanks guys. Sounds like macrame yarn would be a better general option for me, but I'll buy a pack or two, maybe in different textures, closer to the final sale days and see what I can do with it.